Song 17 - "Crossfire" by Stevie Ray Vaughan

Nice job! Great tone…

1 Like

:clap::clap::raised_hands: that was cool, the tone was spot on for the song… you’ve taken the challenge by storm man! I’m amazed at how super relaxed you play also :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks Reo!

The weird thing about the tone on this one is it sounded best when I set all my EQ and blend controls to noon on both the bass and my amp (except gain, which I left off). This never happens. I play the Schecter through an Orange Crush combo and then record the DI signal from the amp. This rig doesn’t scream “Texas Blues” to me, but somehow it worked :slight_smile:

I think the relaxed playing comes from playing guitar for so long. It makes the instrument feel familiar to me. I do focus on staying relaxed when I play as well – good things tend to happen then. When I tense up, usually because I’m overthinking something, that’s when I forget parts, or my fingers go rogue and trip over themselves.

Yeah, I’ve noticed that a cool individual sound doesn’t necessarily gel well with the mix, perhaps setting the bass tone to a more “Texas blues” sound might crash with the track…

1 Like

alright I sat on this one for a bit, not playing much as I mentioned on the previous song… also when I am doing a song in a different tuning I tend to play less,… I’m using that excuse

https://youtu.be/pij3Hz8jXGY

5 Likes

Hey @Reo!
Well done man!
Well done!!!
Nice growl too on this.
Sounds great.

1 Like

Really solid! Nice job!

1 Like

Nice job on this @Reo! Kept the groove going throughout.

Yeah, a big part of my practice is jamming to a shuffled playlist of songs I know. My Eb playlist is much more limited.

Caught in the crossfire! Here’s my cover of this awesome tune. Lots of fun playing it but boy is it a finger workout at 4 minutes with little resting time!

Played with a Fender MIM Jazz Bass (my first Fender bass!)
Strung with standard Fender strings and tuned down to Eb
Neck Volume 50%
Bridge Volume 100%
Tone 100%

Plugged into Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 with the following settings:
Vintage Microtubes Mode
Compression 50%
Tone 100%
Blend 50%
EQ mostly flat with a bump at 1.5k

I wanted to push the mids as much as possible in this one. I also had to cut some high end due to fret noise.

XLR Out to Volt 276. Volt using GTR Comp setting. Vintage OFF. Gain 45%. Recorded with Garageband and OBS. Finished with iMovie.

4 Likes

Finally a new song on the 50 list done! Hope you like my Crossfire, and yes I know I have to much Ai stuff in this one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s my crossfire take :slight_smile:

1 Like

Overall ok.
This seemingly simple riff is actually quite hard to nail over and over and keep time.
Timing issues throughout the tune, nothing more practice wouldn’t fix.
I find these repetitive riffs the toughest to keep time well for a long time without way too many hours of practice (at least for me).

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes