Song 2 - "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Thanks @JT. Starting Crazy today and looking forward to a different genre. Cheers!

4 Likes

@JDDaniel - you did a good job.
What I see (might be wrong) is what I see in myself a lot - nerves and lack of confidence in the song I am playing. I know those grimmaces all too well.

I never posted a video of myself playing anything before this challange (and I have been playing sax for 7 years and trumpet before then) and have watched online loads of people post amazing things that I could never compete with. It drove my confidence to zero. I even struggle when I take private lessons but in front of an instructor. I finally found a great instructor for sax that ‘secretly’ was working on my confidence cause he ID’ed it instantly. As he started telling me that my confidence was improving (might have been, might not have been) it actually did.

Its odd how pushing that little record button is more nerve racking. The more I do it the more I feel like I ‘own it’.

At the end of the day, I can see clearly that you have ‘got the goods’, its all there. If you pretend like you own it, you will actually start owning it.

The other suggestion I would say is to try to know the song more without looking. Play it in chunks, slowly. Work and rework the spots that hang you up in isolation slowly until you own them. Then play through without looking, if you forget a part simply wait until you can chime back in on a part you know, then go work on the missed parts and try again.
This is what I do and it works for me. It doesn’t sound fun and the rest of the house hates it, but in the end the song works better because you are playing more and thinking less.

Like I said, you clearly have the goods. And LOVE that bass!

6 Likes

Good job @JDDaniel
It always looks easy when someone else is doing it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I second what @John_E said there’s something about recording oneself that :confounded::weary::confused:
Funny, as I listen to your video my kids starting humming the song, clearly I over played it as well since that’s not their type of music

5 Likes

Well done @JDDaniel!
:+1:

3 Likes

Hey @JDDaniel,
the timing is tricky on this song, at least you know where you made the mistakes :+1:
Nice tone on your new family member and i love the colour,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Sorry, I republished the video on YouTube so just reposting the link.

https://youtu.be/CIGglJ8xhjg

6 Likes

https://youtu.be/135kvNIhgh8

10 Likes

Great job again. Few little stumbles on this one, but nothing major. I think it’s simply because you had to look at the sheet music a lot more on this one so couldn’t keep an eye on your fretting hand as much. That being said, you did really well at playing blind overall. I find I always do better if I memorize the songs and don’t have to concentrate on the sheet music, but I have no intention of memorizing every song and I didn’t do it for this one either.

5 Likes

Nicely played @JPHaggerty! I have the same Beatles poster in my practice space as well.
:+1:

4 Likes

Agree. Very well done @JPHaggerty. Some minor timing things but minor indeed. Great job

5 Likes

Nice job @JPHaggerty,
you know where the errors were, all in all pretty good, nice tone,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Yeah, the last measure made me chuckle…

4 Likes

Hey everyone, I apologize in advance because I assume I’m missing something obvious….

This is my first time trying to use one of the 50 first songs and I can’t wrap my head around this being quarter notes at 90 ppm with what you are playing. The FAQ says the default speed is the actual speed and this comes up as 90. Is it possible these are really half. Notes?

3 Likes

Hi @doylecb

They are in fact quarter notes. 1 note per beat.
Play a YouTube video of the song and clap along like you are at a concert, those claps are quarter note rhythm. Now take that clap beat and apply it to your plucking.

If you have a metronome app that has a ‘tap’ feature (where you can tap a button on the screen to the beat the app will show you the bpm) then tap that button like you are clapping , you will get 90 (ish, depending on how good your rhythm is).

If you are still a bit confused, watch some of the videos in this post to see folks playing. Once that beat is locked in your head, I think you will be ok.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply John. This seemingly simple thing is making me crazy. I’m watching people play it and I just don’t see/hear them playing four quarter notes per bar. I hear 2 quarter notes per bar listening to the drums. I even found this music online which goes exactly to what I think I am hearing and seeing

2 Likes

This sheet music is written in basically ‘double time’ for lack of a better term vs. the one Josh has posted. It has some ‘expressive’ rests that are called out vs Josh’s. If you were to follow this one, clap twice as fast, every other clap is on the beat, and the rest you see here is on the ‘and’ of 1-and-2-and-3-and-4and’

2 Likes

I really don’t think so John. It’s certainly possible that thing I posted is wrong but those rests are quarter note rests. I also see lots of music that has the BPM much faster than 90. It’s a basic drumbeat with the snare on the two and the four, no?

1 Like

@RuknRole it really sounds to me like you’re playing on the one and three which is what I swear I am hearing. Are you somehow playing four quarter notes per bar and I am just misunderstanding where the drums and bass go together?

1 Like

@skydvr your great performance is another one that seems so clear to me that you’re playing on the one and three and then four notes in the bar right before the solo. What am I missing?

1 Like

I don’t know. :slight_smile: But you can see my fingers alternating plucks on each note… Are you saying that each pluck seems like a half note to you?