Song 2 - "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

This one doesn’t officially start until the 22nd of March, but I know some people have finished the first song early and will want to start talking about the next one, so am creating this thread a week early. I’ll be doing this for all future songs. If you haven’t finished “Another Brick in the Wall” yet (like me!), don’t worry. There is no rush. In fact, you could take a month on each song if you want or just join in on songs you want to. Totally up to you.

Song: Bad Moon Rising
Artist: Creedence Clearwater Revival
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKJwvQfraY8

Spotify link

For a backing track with bass removed, please contact @gcancella

Tips:

josh2

Member Audio/Video Submission Shortcuts:

akod / John_E / BigAl / JerryP / TK-421 / TNKA36 / MattHinchliffe / Barney / enkhiel / Brendan / Mike_NL / y.farkash / Enkhiel / Reo / JT / Vegaswizzle / Anderson / skydvr / kowry / pauls1024 / GanglyCloth / Ruknrole / JDDaniel / JPHaggerty

12 Likes

Here’s my attempt. If you want I can remove and resubmit on the 22nd.

(Before anyone asks: yes I do have more than one T-shirt, but I recorded Another Brick in the Wall, Bad Moon Rising and Crazy in the same session, so it’s going to be the same one in all three.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg_Q75VVssU

32 Likes

Very, very nice @akos! . . . :+1:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

I started looking at this one last night. At first glance I thought, ‘wow, easy’…but trickier than seems on the surface. Getting the 8th notes just so and keeping perfect time so long, good little workout.

Each song seems to have little nuances that add to knowing how to do something else a bit better down the road.

8 Likes

DANG! Nailed that one! +++++

5 Likes

Well done! No need to remove the video. I know some are ahead, so that’s why I start the threads a week early. You really did this one spot on as far as I can tell! Looked effortless to you. Maybe you should have to wear a blind-fold on the next one you do. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I mostly use black t-shirts or polos. It’s almost my uniform :sweat_smile:. You look a little beefier than your avatar though. :thinking:

Very nice job!

5 Likes

Nailed it! Perfect tone, great timing, solid groove. I like the look of your bass too. What model is that?

5 Likes

It’s the “Duff McKagan Deluxe P Bass”, a.k.a. “Deluxe Jazz Bass Special”, depending on where you look

6 Likes

Funny thing on this song…I can play the guitar part to it but don’t know the bass part!

4 Likes

Good job @akos!
This 50S 100W challenge is going to be fun.

6 Likes

Nice job @akos,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Awesome job @akos. I’ve done this one, but not uploaded it yet. I love that Bass, it’s my ultimate dream to own a Duff McKagan bass.

@John_E - I also found this one quite tricky, despite its apparent simplicity…I struggled with the bit where the guitar solo is.

6 Likes

Bang nailed it @akos, really great

5 Likes

Here is mine…

same Fender CS ‘61 P-bass, Labella 760M strings, tone about 50% mark.
This time I went through the Fender Studio Amp and used their SVT sim via the XLR post output into the Focusrite and then Abelton. Ain’t perfect, but I really dislike this song and just wanted it done…haha. As I mentioned in another thread, I used 1 finger to pluck mostly throughout to try to keep the intensity/consistency of the pluck even. Not something I normally do.

https://youtu.be/tr5orrPMPzM

25 Likes

Looks and sounds great John. Well done! I didn’t pick up on anything going wrong at all. And that bass sounds great. Almost upright sounding. I like this song, but I know there will be some in the 50 I don’t like for sure. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Nice bass!!!

6 Likes

Thanks, yes I keep leaning more and more to that upright sound, drawn to it.

4 Likes

You guys are setting the bar quite high, @akos and @John_E… I’m not as familiar with this song as I am with “Another Brick in the Wall”, so it will take me a lot of practice to learn this one. Also, the original bass line almost sounds like it was played on a double (upright) bass, and I’ll need to figure out how to get that tone as well…

5 Likes

Just buy an upright bass. Easily solved. :laughing:

There are ways to try and emulate an upright, but I wouldn’t stress that for this purpose unless you really want to. Here are some tips if you choose that path.

5 Likes