Song 2 - "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Hi @Reo,
I think you did a really good job considering this is your first cover.
The tone on your bass sounded ok, even on the D string, you got a little rushed on the last drop down to the D string.
You have smooth technique with your alternating fingers, the only thing I would be trying to do is to get 1 finger per fret on your left hand, again if you work on this over time you will see big improvements.
You should use the spider technique to develop this skill.
All in all you looked relaxed, well done,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Very nicely done @Reo! I agree with the previous commenters. Try to keep your fingers closer to the fret board!
:+1:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone, I’ll start doing finger exercises routinely to keep those fingers down.
@JT I certainly have a tendency to squeeze the strings, that could be it, specifically if my fingers are just jumping away!
I checked the D string as you suggested, it’s a bit sharp on the 12th fret (pictures below) the A is also sharp (but less, both green and red are slightly lit) the G is very sharp (3 circles over) and the E is actually slightly flat (both green and red circle dimly lit) :man_shrugging:t4: So, intonation problem?

4 Likes

Yes, easy to adjust, lots of us do it ourselves.
May videos on the topic.
All you need is usually is a screwdriver and a tuner.

3 Likes

Yeah, your intonation needs some slight adjustments. Pickup heights could also be an issue. Could even be a dodgy string. These things all happen. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My stab at this is attached. I think I did alright. Sometimes didn’t get close enough to the fret and a few notes slightly ahead or behind the beat, but this was because I had to look at the tab for most of the song. Didn’t plan on memorizing this one though.

https://youtu.be/z781cnU4SIo

17 Likes

Nice work @JT.

I had to start tapping my other foot/leg so my bass wasn’t dancing, maybe try that?
So hard not to bounce during playing.

Like the tone.
Couple minor, minor bits but nothing to really worry on.
I felt some ahead of the beat, that will dial in over time.

Nice slide at then end, love it!
I think we should all start adding a little of our personality to these songs vs. trying to do them so close to original (its not classical music after all).

4 Likes

Yeah, I know my bass is dancing, but I don’t really mind that. I guess it could be a pain if you are trying to watch what I’m doing though. :slight_smile:

I do tend to want to end songs on an octave slide. Just sounds right to me. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Nice job! And hell yeah to ending on octave slides :sunglasses: Though there’s the risk of sliding 1 fret too far and then that just ruins everything.

4 Likes

Hey @JT,
Good job, couple minor things that you already know of.
The only real minor thing i picked up was i can hear your fingers sliding along the strings from one note to the next, maybe try lifting them of the string when changing notes.
The tone on your bass was really bright, sounds like round wounds, they can cause this and amplify that finger sliding noise between notes.
I suppose that’s why i like flats, they tend to be not as bright.
And as @John_E said, try and keep time with your other leg, not that it had an impact or you could try doing your covers standing and tapping your foot,
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

The strings on it are about 2 year old roundwounds. I should really do something about those…

My future covers will be done on my new bass, but that needs some new strings too.

Good catch on not lifting my fingers up. I do tend to slide them around.

And I will try to use my other leg, but it doesn’t feel as natural to me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey All, Here is my quick n dirty cover for BMR.
https://youtu.be/VIlAnkPEKBc

15 Likes

Excellent job! Made it look effortless. I didn’t detect any mistakes. Not sure what CCR would have thought of that bass, but I love it. I think they’d like you playing barefoot though. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

awesome work, nice filter and I think @bofhgirl would definitely approve the cable :smiley:
heard one hickup at 1:18 and maybe try resting your hand somewhere, else longer songs might be hefty to play holding the arm up all the time.
oh, and even though the angle is really awesome, it makes it hard to judge your fingerwork if you’re interested in those.

Besides that, I really really enjoyed it!

Team Barefoot!

5 Likes

I can see my reputation for obnoxious pink things is already off to a good start :smiley:

6 Likes

Good job @JT!

4 Likes

Great job @Vegaswizzle!

4 Likes

Well done @Vegaswizzle all around.

5 Likes

Very nice @JT and @Vegaswizzle. Both sound great.

The only thing I would say @JT is separate those fretting fingers a little. - they look glued together :slight_smile: Watching you play this, you’re micro-shifting even to switch from 5th fret to 3rd fret. Just may become a speed issue eventually. But sounded great!

5 Likes

@JT who doesn’t love an octave slide? Answer - No one
@Vegaswizzle that’s a sweet bass. The EHB 1000S is on my very short list. I just wish I could get my hands on the neck before I buy. Nice work.

5 Likes