Song 2 - "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Great job @RoyB ! As mentioned, a few timing issues but overall a good performance! Take heed of Lanny’s (@Lanny ) advice about following the drums, not every song will have a vocalist.
:+1:

4 Likes

Nice finger work on both hands @RoyB ,
Nice tone in the mix, couple small things to work on tempo wise, but all in all well done,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Good job @RoyB
As others have said, timing.

Have a listen back to it and clap along to the beat, you will find that your bass comes in before the clap quite a bit.
This is called “rushing the beat”.
It’s also called “crap I just finally memorized this whole song and want to play it before I forget anything” :upside_down_face:
Congrats, this is perfectly normal and will improve with practice.

You are on your way, keep going!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the great feedback, folks. I’ll play closer attention to the timing for my next one!

The one thing that I would suggest (and it will help with your timing) is to never rely on lyrics to base your note timing, or where you’re at to play bass by - only use the beat of the drums.

This is certainly something I need to practice. Thanks for the call out.

2 Likes

If you’re playing jazz follow the snare, everything else follow the bass drum.

3 Likes

A little CCR from my humble bunker. I liked working on this one. Left on my own I tend to play too many notes, so working on a song that mostly sticks to quarter notes was a good lesson. The few spots where the eighth notes are sprinkled in really pop and the guitar solo section was trickier than I originally thought. Feedback and critique welcome, thanks all!
https://youtu.be/eVQpW2O3Q1w

7 Likes

Liked your finger work and you look like you are having fun @dlamson13
The tone in the mix is a little light on, something to work on with your next song,
Keep up the great work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Sounding and looking good @dlamson13
Nice groove

3 Likes

‘Songs from The Bunker’ - I’d buy that album for sure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great job @dlamson13… Great timing and style of play…

3 Likes

Great job @dlamson13 ! Keep them coming!

1 Like

Thanks so much for all the feedback, encouragement, and listening! @TNKA36 @John_E @Barney @Lanny @JerryP

Thanks, I think I hear what you mean. Part of it might have something to do with how I rolled the blend knob on my bass all the way to the neck pick-up. I thought a mellow tone would be nice, but without the bridge pickup in there it’s a little wimpy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great job!

2 Likes

OK, Here’s my rendition of this Bad Ass song.
I literally played this over and over, back to back (with a few breaks) at least 100 times. It’s so short it was so easy to just set it on loop and play play play

Here is the result. (bass volume a little on the loud side, again, for my education)

https://youtu.be/aEhSRS0QlRY

5 Likes

Nice job @groaner !

1 Like

Thanks Jerry!!!

1 Like

Very good job @groaner !
Great timing.
Something sounds amiss on your A string. Does the backing track have the bass dropped out (the one Josh gives us)? If so you may be just a bit out of tune in that string. Every other note sounds perfect.

4 Likes

I think you’re right. I noticed it after I posted it. Didn’t hear it during play or edit.
I retuned just before recording, and again after recording.
I am using the bassless track.

1 Like

Nice job @groaner, looks like you’re more at peace without pudding man taunting you about every missed take. Good work on the solo part with the walk ups! If you get bored and keep this in your repertoire, you can try rolling the consecutive notes on the 3rd fret with your left hand. Not necessary here, but comes in handy down the road on some songs.

I know I find myself tuning more this time of year…temp/humidity changes.

2 Likes

@groaner like your dance moves :smile:, did also a lot of dancing on my take today:

https://youtu.be/H-PG5OtlIxA

6 Likes