Song 2 - "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Thanks for the reply John. This seemingly simple thing is making me crazy. I’m watching people play it and I just don’t see/hear them playing four quarter notes per bar. I hear 2 quarter notes per bar listening to the drums. I even found this music online which goes exactly to what I think I am hearing and seeing

2 Likes

This sheet music is written in basically ‘double time’ for lack of a better term vs. the one Josh has posted. It has some ‘expressive’ rests that are called out vs Josh’s. If you were to follow this one, clap twice as fast, every other clap is on the beat, and the rest you see here is on the ‘and’ of 1-and-2-and-3-and-4and’

2 Likes

I really don’t think so John. It’s certainly possible that thing I posted is wrong but those rests are quarter note rests. I also see lots of music that has the BPM much faster than 90. It’s a basic drumbeat with the snare on the two and the four, no?

1 Like

@RuknRole it really sounds to me like you’re playing on the one and three which is what I swear I am hearing. Are you somehow playing four quarter notes per bar and I am just misunderstanding where the drums and bass go together?

1 Like

@skydvr your great performance is another one that seems so clear to me that you’re playing on the one and three and then four notes in the bar right before the solo. What am I missing?

1 Like

I don’t know. :slight_smile: But you can see my fingers alternating plucks on each note… Are you saying that each pluck seems like a half note to you?

I guess I’m just hearing the drums differently. The way I’m hearing the drums you’re plucking on the one and three. Am I the only one who hears the snare on the two and four with a 179 BPM?

1 Like

I totally get that random‘s on the Internet are often wrong but I definitely see lots of people who I guess are hearing what I’m hearing and have the BPM at 179.

Bad Moon Rising is avery happysong byCreedence Clearwater Revivalwith a tempo of179BPM.It can also be used half-time at90 BPM.The track runs2 minutes and 20 secondslong with aDkey and amajormode. It hashigh energyand issomewhat danceablewith a time signature of4 beats per bar.

1 Like

I think its just a matter of Josh wrote it one way, someone else wrote it another, in the end both are right. I wouldn’t fret to much about it.

2 Likes

Here’s a copy of some drum sheet music that I found for it.

2 Likes

@JoshFossgreen I learned from you to listen for the snare on the two and four. Am I crazy or did you write this in half time?

1 Like

Sure, I just want to understand. I learned from Josh that the snare is usually going to be on the 2 and 4. Obviously all of you guys understood I just want to try to figure out what I missing.

1 Like

I think you have already answered your own question.

2 Likes

Not doing the challenge but I would personally call this 90bpm with the drums playing eighth notes, simply due to the tempo of the other instrumentation.

You could also base the tempo on quarter notes for the drums and say it is 180bpm. However the general feel of this song with the other instrumentation is absolutely not what I think of as 180bpm. Now, online sites may autodetect it as 180bpm and assume that the drums are playing quarter notes, but that’s not the general tempo of the rest of the instrumentation.

It’s basically just a different way to notate it.

As an example of a song at that kind of tempo, this is 168bpm, quite a bit slower than 180, and it clearly has a much faster feel across all the instruments than Bad Moon Rising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Ctwf8tX1Q

Another example going the other direction is Hysteria, which is 93 BPM for the drums, but has a relentless 16th note bassline that makes it feel much much faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dm_5qWWDV8

Just different ways to notate the song, really.

3 Likes

This might help you to ‘get’ the rhythm of the bass part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thkmx8dYyWo
This a screen shot from UGC and that’s where i learnt it. At 180bpm as @howard correctly said it feels to me like 8th notes. So at 90bpm the first two bars of the UGC tab would fit onto 1 bar. That’s how I visualize it anyway.

1 Like

Barney yes! That screenshot you posted is exactly how I hear it. I’ve read a few things and it seems like 90 is technically halftime. I get that it works either way it is much harder for me to hear those drums not as 180 because I trained myself to listen for those snares on the two and four.

1 Like

Howard I totally get what you’re saying. It does feel slower than 180 but I would argue that because the baseline is half notes as opposed to quarter notes. If you listen to the drums as 180 The baseline becomes half notes. For some reason that’s the way my brain wants to see it. I get that either way works. I’m just hoping Josh will chime in and tell me if what he posted is technically considered halftime?

2 Likes

Hey @doylecb , good question! I think from the drummer’s perspective, it probably makes sense to write the chart with quarter note fast like that. But from the bass end of things (and I imagine the voice and guitar), it feels more like a slow quarter note to me, with the drums “double timing.” So yes, snare is still on 2 and 4 structurally within the drum part, but since we’re counting at half that, it comes out as hitting on all the ‘and’s’.

But someone could write the chart with the note values shifted over one, and it’d still be ‘right’, since it means the same thing! Nobody in CCR probably gave it a thought. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Awesome, thanks Josh! I’m just glad I didn’t completely lose my ability to hear the bass/drum connection. I was able to get myself to hear it with the snare hitting the upbeat and play it as you have it! After all my shit talk I definitely owe everyone a video hopefully I will be ready tomorrow…

6 Likes
8 Likes