Song 22 - "I Feel Good" by James Brown

I’ve been doing some Iron Maiden, Toto and Amy Winehouse tunes and others. Been to lazy to record myself.

1 Like

Very nice as always @BigAl … That bass sounds awesome with this tune…

I’d love to hear it if you felt like posting…

1 Like

Still work in progress. But i’ll let you know. Steve Harris has some awesome chops with his 1/16 notes. :joy::rofl::wink:

1 Like

Of all the saxes, I like and am least comfortable with alto, but what the hell…
Clean P tone ~50%, Les Claypool EMG pickups…

https://youtu.be/X6pUhmUqRT8

7 Likes

Now there’s a color scheme you don’t see everyday! Sounded great and was pretty rad that broke you out the sax. You’re on a roll with this 50 song challenge @John_E :metal:

1 Like

Here’s my James Brown cover. Lots of fun to play this one. The hardest part on this is when the instruments drop out and you have to come back in at the right time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5inHOlvHU0

5 Likes

Well done @dlamson13.
Sounds great to me.

Where’s your saxophone part? :rofl::rofl::rofl::saxophone::saxophone::saxophone:

1 Like

Thanks John,

:rofl: I better stay in my lane, it’s best for everyone (family, neighbors, neighbor’s dogs, you guys having to listen to it, etc.)

Another one bites the dust - and I feel good :slight_smile:

I thought this was going to be a cakewalk but it was surprisingly tough - you have to come in right on time with the rest of the band, and the bass is really prominent in the mix so everyone can hear if you mess up. Apparently James Brown was really merciless with his band if they got it wrong…

Although I was coming in on time (or so I thought) I was consistently about 0.1 seconds early on the recording. So I adjusted it accordingly :wink: . That and a little bit of compression was all that was needed apart from the Hofner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-N6y_Ftwdg

9 Likes

Hey Ed this sounds really good.
One thing, and it was the same on my Hofner, your E string sounds really really loud vs. the other strings. I had to do some pickup adjustment to get rid of the big boominess of the E string.

Tone otherwise is really great man!

1 Like

Dude! How tall are you, You dwarf that Alto, lol. Double feature that’s awesome man.

1 Like

Hahahaha, I despise altos, lol.
I am not great on them and my body language shows it.
I’m only 6’1”,must be the angles.

1 Like

What’s your favorite. Can you once and for all educate me on the sizes please. I know soprano, alto, tenor and baritone, may be a few more but slip my mine for now.

I like the tone and vibe of the tenor myself.

Thanks @John_E ! The Hof really shines on these older tracks. You definitely have a point about the low E though - especially on the Bass setting! I’ve tried cutting the 100Hz frequencies using Audacity but it’s difficult to get rid of all of it. I’ll have a go at the pickups but I may just try and play a little lighter on the E string …

Those are all the current mass production sizes, but in the past a lot of others were lots of others and there are few small production sizes today.
On the high end above soprano (Bb) are sopranino (Eb) and sopranissimo (Bb). On the low end below bari (Eb) are bass (Bb), contra-bass (Eb) and sub-contra-bass (Bb). See the pattern? Eb Bb Eb Bb etc.
Between alto (Eb) and tenor (Bb) the C Melody was very popular in the 20s. Pitched in C it let people read granny’s piano music and they could play along in their parlors at home easily. These were the guitars of the 20s. Every home had one. Conn also in the 20s came out with The F Mezzo Soprano and Conn-O-Sax, both in F. Thre Great Depression wiped those out of production and are super rare. I have an F Mezzo, but not conn-o-sax, they got for over $30K

1 Like

Bari is by far my fave then tenor. Soprano is super hard to intonate but very rewarding.

1 Like

Here’s my stab at this song :slightly_smiling_face:

James Brown - I Feel Good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzRaclcUFxU

4 Likes

This was excellent!

Great job @robbp !

1 Like

Thank you, @John_E! It’s always nice to receive compliments from such a fine bass player as yourself!

Real nice tone and timing on this @robbp, such a fun song to play!

1 Like