Artist: Wilson Pickett
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il-usrZxGns

Spotify Link

1 Like

https://youtu.be/iu0ts5gpDt0

Straight into the DAI.
Tone rolled up all the way.
I tried to get all the articulation marks (there’s quite a lot hidden in this seemingly simple tune) but missed a few.

5 Likes

Here’s another fun groove. I dialed in a lot of mids on this, more than on any of the other Motown covers, but I was feeling that kind of sound.

I’m guessing I missed more than a few…I’m a lazy reader.

3 Likes

Really really good @dlamson13
The tricky bit is keeping that thrid note in the riff to an eight, which you did mostly all the time.
Couple times it got long (me too, it’s like we want to follow the melody which has it a bit longer), but really you pretty much nailed it.

For me the tricky bit was keeping it short the entire time as I got lazy.

Tone was great, really great job man.

1 Like

Thanks John_E, glad you liked it, and appreciate the insight into the note lengths.

Exactly! I’m kind of a “feel” player, which can be good for getting in a groove, but sometimes gloss over the details and end up following something other than the bass. The quality of these transcriptions is awesome though, and have helped me fill in a lot of knowledge gaps when I slow down and study them.

1 Like

We went with H pickup isolation on this one and looked to muddy the tone to give it that old school vibe. I brought the Cali76 compressor pedal back into the mix for this one. (Pedal settings: Dry 50% - Out 50% - In 50% - Ratio 75% - ATT/REL 65% - HPF 50%)

From there we are into the Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 with Microtubes ON and Tone at 25% and Blend at 50%.

XLR Out to Volt 276. Comp OFF. Vintage ON. Gain 55%. Recorded with Garageband and OBS. Finished with iMovie.

2 Likes

OK, I know this is not good, but I move on. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t think it was bad at all, just one little blip to my ear, the playing was very good. The tone sounds authentic even if it isn’t my favorite, it does sound like the record. Nice job working through these!

Thank you @dlamson13 :slight_smile: Think I managed to get the playing quite right, but I think I have the whole tune a bit too fast, so I can’t get the tabs to sync and I kind of forgot to put my bass in the video. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds great.
Rushing the beat a bit, this is one of those lay back a tad tunes.
Otherwise it is terrific.
And no offense, I didn’t notice you were missing, lol.
Nice visuals!

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback, @John_E . I really appreciate getting constructive feedback. :+1: Hehe, guess the video is better without me there. :joy:

1 Like
3 Likes

Nice job on groove and timing.
I dug it!!

This one was fun to play, more than expected; I don’t think that I got the notes length quite right

4 Likes

Think this sounds very good, but is there some sync problems or is it just my eyes. :slight_smile:

I see what you mean, I wondered if I had the correct audio/video match, but the open E seems to match, so I just left it :man_shrugging: