Song 3 - “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley

Excellent job @Regina! Very smooth fretting and plucking… Sounded great.

5 Likes

What everybody else said. No white flakes on the jacket or bass, and they would stand out on the black, so your hair is fine too.

5 Likes

Nice job @Regina,
great finger work on both hands and nice tone. :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

@jt thank you for listening and the comments! You were right, I was able to memorize this song, which definitely helped me to free up some RAM to focus on other elements. I did need the tab for the first 2 songs. For some reason I couldn’t memorize those songs.

@tnka36 thank you for listening and the comments! I’m glad you caught the slide, it was a spur of the moment kind of thing that just happened to work.

@jerryp thank you for listening and the comments! I really like adding a few personal nuggets.

@pampurrs thank you for listening and the comments!

@john_E thank you for listening and the comments! I had a feeling you were going to like that tone. My only concern was it was maybe a little muddy.

@skydvr thank you for listening and the comments! I try to play the tune straight up and then add a few things here or there.

@akos Again, great job. You’ve got nice timing and nice tune. Well played!

@BigAl Nice job on Crazy. I really like how you complemented the kick drum 16th note before the 1 (…a1). Very cool.

@Barney Nice work on Crazy. I really liked the the pick and the palm muting… both sounded perfect for the song!

@John_E Great job again… I’m loving that tone! Sounds great. I really liked the U Bass version as well. How do you like that instrument? I’ve been thinking about getting one.

@MattHinchliffe Hey, nice job on Crazy. I liked your version! The transition from the verse to the chorus seemed to give you a little trouble but the rest sounded good. That transition was hard for me to get down.

@JerryP Nicely done! You were right in the pocket and the bass tone was perfect for the song. Great job!

@GanglyCloth Nice job on Crazy! You sounded great and your wingspan with your fingers is amazing… I’m totally jealous!

@Mike_NL Great job… I could not hear any issues and I thought it was a great performance!

@y.farkash Very nice job on Crazy. I thought your take sounded great.

@Vegaswizzle Sounded great. I’m definitely jealous of your fretting-hand wingspan as well :wink:

@Brendan Not much to say other than excellent version! Sounded great.
@skydvr Nice work! I liked your version, nice and solid!

@RuknRole Super solid version. I really loved the tone as well. Killer.

@Reo Nice job on crazy! I really liked your tone and you had good rhythm.

@JT That sounded great. Super solid and tight. Nice work!

@enkhiel Nice work on Crazy. You looked and sounded great.

@Anderson Nice work on Crazy. Playing with a pick is super hard for me but I think you did a nice job!

@Regina Nice job on Crazy. Super solid and in the pocket. Tone was fantastic as well!

15 Likes

LoL @John_E; I just wish I had hair to wash. :crazy_face:

Great job @Regina and everyone!!

PS - I hope to post my version of Crazy this weekend so I can get started on the next.

7 Likes

https://youtu.be/L7zoAJJxYVU

9 Likes

This video just got blocked (copyrighted content) in Iran!
Should I be worried?!
Anyone else getting partially blocked?

2 Likes

Yes. Iran Korea and a few others.

You can use Vimeo and not get blocked but for free you are limited in weekly uploads and can’t mark your videos “unlisted” unless you pay.

So far I say “Sorry Iran, in shy so no tunes for you”

2 Likes

Howdy all! Here is my effort. Could have posted last weekend but kept trying to get the right tone. In the end, I grew tired of tinkering with the Bass and the Amp trying to find the exact tones so I am loading this one. A couple of flubs (string popping against the pickup and other) which might not even get picked up if I was not recording with my phone so close to me, but I really enjoyed learning and playing this one.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with ideas, but for sure: @JT for several points, and @John_E for the knob positioning (helped me get as close as possible) on the Bass. I reckon I was like @JerryP, as I did not know this song until the challenge. Too much talk radio, classic rock, outlaw country, or boogie-woogie blues, when I am in the automobile or listening to music while doing mindless activities.

https://youtu.be/NqMdC9OjGP4

10 Likes

@JDDaniel !! You did great!! Well done sir.

Don’t worry about tone on a recording with a phone, you’ll pull your hair out (I can say this cause I’m bald too!!).

Seriously. Sounds great all around to me

5 Likes

Another winner sir!! @JPHaggerty

5 Likes

@JPHaggerty - Excellent job on this. And I love how you rock it out! Only thing to watch for is the flying pinky, but that’s really not a big deal and most of us (me too) do it and have to work on it.

@JDDaniel - Great job as well. Few little stumbles, but great overall. Tone sounded fine to me. Same flying pinky as JP. Pretty good for an Aggie. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

JP, JD, JT… what others can we get in here? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great job @JDDaniel! After you learn it, it’s a fun song to play isn’t it?
:+1:

4 Likes

JE…me

5 Likes

Yes sir, it is.

5 Likes

Nice job @JPHaggerty,
you look relaxed and have a nice tone on this one too,
keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Good job @JPHaggerty, very relaxed and in the groove.

@JDDaniel, your playing has gotten so much better.
The tone was fine, but it sounds like you are distorting on the E string below A#, so basically the first 5 frets, or open A string. I get this alot with my active Ray’s when the gain is up too high.
It could have been your phone recording, but it really sounded more like the amp. If it was, you can turn the gain down a little and the master volume up just enough to make up for the lower gain setting, and it should take care of it.

5 Likes

Nice job @JDDaniel,
Few little glitches, like the tone and big red looks really nice,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Thanks Toby @T_dub. I used my Rumble 40 vs. my Ampeg B210, and kept messing with the settings so likely jacked it up. Kept thinking I should switch to the Ampeg, but never did. Will try it for the next recording.

4 Likes

Hello everyone! I used:

Fender J Bass

• Rockband cord into GarageBand
  • Webcam and Quicktime for the video
  • Stitched it together with IMovie

This was fun. Thank you for putting this challenge together
https://youtu.be/4_llVSJUHSo

7 Likes