Song 3 - “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley

Yes sir, it is.

5 Likes

Nice job @JPHaggerty,
you look relaxed and have a nice tone on this one too,
keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Good job @JPHaggerty, very relaxed and in the groove.

@JDDaniel, your playing has gotten so much better.
The tone was fine, but it sounds like you are distorting on the E string below A#, so basically the first 5 frets, or open A string. I get this alot with my active Ray’s when the gain is up too high.
It could have been your phone recording, but it really sounded more like the amp. If it was, you can turn the gain down a little and the master volume up just enough to make up for the lower gain setting, and it should take care of it.

5 Likes

Nice job @JDDaniel,
Few little glitches, like the tone and big red looks really nice,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Thanks Toby @T_dub. I used my Rumble 40 vs. my Ampeg B210, and kept messing with the settings so likely jacked it up. Kept thinking I should switch to the Ampeg, but never did. Will try it for the next recording.

4 Likes

Hello everyone! I used:

Fender J Bass

• Rockband cord into GarageBand
  • Webcam and Quicktime for the video
  • Stitched it together with IMovie

This was fun. Thank you for putting this challenge together
https://youtu.be/4_llVSJUHSo

7 Likes

Well done on this! You were definitely in the groove. Something you may want to focus on is your left hand. You had a lot of what we call “flying fingers” where the fingers you aren’t fretting with want to point upwards. Most people have this (I do) and it will improve over time if you are aware of it and try to reduce it when you play. Also, I could be wrong, but I have the feeling you might be using too much pressure with your thumb on the back of the neck. Could be wrong, just looked like your fingers were pressing quite hard sometimes. If that’s the case, try not to push so hard. The thumb is there mainly as a guide and not so much as a counter-balance. Anyway, you did well overall. Look forward to your next one!

2 Likes

Nice job for your first up cover @greghsr ,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Good job @greghsr ! :+1:

3 Likes

Great job @greghsr all around.
Good groove and tone.

3 Likes

You’re right about both JT (flying fingers and a too much pressure with the thumb on the back of the neck). I’ve been working on the flying fingers but was not aware of too much pressure. Thank you for pointing it out!

5 Likes

Have a look at the two videos in this post. They helped me and might help you.

1 Like

@John_E I just listened to your cover of Crazy on the Ubass for the first time. It sounds great.

The song itself is very special to me, as it was getting a lot of air play in 2006 during the period in which I was retired from print media and was contemplating going to law school and starting a second career. I was in San Mateo having dinner with my old boss when I told him of my plans. He looked at me and said, “At your age? You’re crazy”. Oddly, this song was playing on the restaurant’s musak system at that moment and stuck in my head.
Ever since then, whenever I hear the song, Crazy, I think of that dinner. All through law school, that was the mantra that stuck in my head and kept me going.

8 Likes

Thanks @PamPurrs
Those little basses put out some amazing tone that you cannot get with ‘regular’ basses, for very little $$.

I have found in life that when people tell me I am nuts for wanting to do something a certain way, it means I am on the right path.

5 Likes

You and I think alike on many things @John_E

4 Likes

Trying to get back on track. I didn’t dwell too much on this. I started to play the wrong note at least once, and my note length wasn’t super consistent. And yeah, my fingers were flying. Probably some other little goofs like that in the video, but nevertheless, I thought it went relatively well. Though my facial expressions while playing are very silly.

10 Likes

Hi @kowry
I thought you did a really good job!
Tone was great (was a bit too high gain in the recording but that is not why we are here).
Timing overall was really good and note lenght overall was good too.
Mistakes = learning, keep making them (I did not see many), you are allowed!

Bass face comes when you stop panicing about what note to play next and start actually feeling/playing the song, this comes in time.

Great job overall, keep 'em coming!

5 Likes

Another good cover @kowry !
:+1:

4 Likes

Nice job on this one @kowry ,
keep up the good work, nice finger work on your picking hand,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Hey man,

This is great. We’re all here to get better. Also, that was ‘thinking face’. This stuff is not second nature to us yet. If you find my recording on this page, you’ll see some ideas people gave me to help my fret hand.

4 Likes