Song 3 - “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley

Hello bass friends!

Here’s my latest entry into the 50 songs challenge. Despite what my bass face might suggest, it was a ton of fun.

Since the notes are quite simple, I tried to really pay attention to the drummer for my timing. As always, feedback & critique is welcome!

:man_facepalming: playing starts at 25 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9rELVKiGw&ab_channel=DDemonLlama

8 Likes

Well done! TIming is great.

I only heard one flubbed note, which is totally no big deal.

Great job @RoyB

Video is a bit out of sync but you can learn all about that in next weekend’s Part 2…

3 Likes

Very nicely played, @RoyB . . . :wink:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Very nicely done @RoyB ! I liked the tone as well. Good job!
:+1:

3 Likes

This is tight @RoyB and the bass tone is great! I just finished up a cover of this myself, and I like the way your tone cuts through the mix more than mine. Do you EQ out the original bass or anything?

2 Likes

Latest “Bunker Bass” attempt! This song reminds me of working the overnight shift back in 2007, one of the last albums I ever bought new on CD (The rest of the album wasn’t so great as I recall). Anyway, as always feedback and critique are welcome and appreciated. In particular I’m hoping to improve the tone and quality of my audio recordings (video is even worse haha but not really worried about it). Right now I’m pretty much hitting play on spotify and recording a DI signal direct through my interface. I set the levels so my bass is a few dBs louder than the playback track. It works and it’s easy (nothing to synch up) but some times my bass gets muddied up when it combines with the original. Thanks all!
https://youtu.be/dKWxMKCEu08

8 Likes

Hey thanks!

If you join the discord server, you can download all the tracks for the 50 song challenge with the bass cut out. That’s what I use for my covers. I think you can also contact @gcancella who might be able to kindly hook you up.

I have my bass running into a pre-amp where I give the mids a significant boost since that’s the sound I like, and then I bring down the backing track down a few dB in my DAW and that’s pretty much it!

2 Likes

Thanks so much @RoyB for the info, I’ll have to checkout that discord. Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

You too :metal:

2 Likes

Looks like you’re having fun. That’s the most important thing, I think.

4 Likes

Nice groove as usual @dlamson13.
Sounds a bit distorted/clipped on this end but maybe due to what you said.

3 Likes

Nice job @RoyB ,
Nice finger work on both hands, couple small issues as mentioned by others, the only thing if i was critical on anything would be the tonal change from the A string to the E string, and what i mean is the plucking seems to be heavier , no big deal just something to be mindful of going forward,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Looks like your having fun grooving out to this one @dlamson13 ,
picked up a couple small timing things, and your right with the muddiness in the mix, especially towards the end.
Keep up the good work, everything will keep improving :+1:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Very well done @dlamson13 !

2 Likes

Finally have my DAI set up. Here’s song #3 with animated video just for fun. Do I wear my bass too high?

https://youtu.be/1OmRf6RnDac

8 Likes

Sounds great @Vince

2 Likes

I think you wear it where it works best for you…

Great cover @Vince!! Great tone and timing, and I enjoyed watching the animated video!

3 Likes

Very nicely done @Vince ! Love the animation video. Good job!

2 Likes

Nice job @Vince ,
Liked the animation work, with regards to is my bass to high, that’s a personal choice.
If you like it there that’s all that matters,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I think you might need your bass a little bit higher. :slight_smile: Great sound quality + cover!

3 Likes