Song 3 - “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley

Thanks for the link and the explanation. I setup both my basses “by feel”, meaning I didn’t really measure anything. It’s probably time to take this a bit more seriously, so I ordered a guitar/bass ruler:

Ordered a capo as well, so I can keep my strings depressed without needing three hands, plus three replacement knobs with dots on them, so I can see what my tone and volume pots are set to.

2 Likes

Yeah, I bought a capo solely for doing setups. It does come in handy. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Mike_NL

These things are so cheap and useful all Bassists and guitarists should have one.

The capo is another cheap item everyone should have although I do not recall ever seeing a Bassist use one while performing. I have used one a few times on six strings though.

Neck radius gauges and feeler gauges are something else I thought I needed but rarely use them now. You can get neck radius gauges online, there was no internet when I bought mine, that you can cut out and use and a credit card works just fine as a feeler gauge to set initial neck relief and then just adjust from there.

2 Likes

Great cover @Vegaswizzle,
Nice to see you stretching out over the 4 frets, I play the same way, makes it easier when you get to quicker songs down the track.
Standing is also important for down the track, you looked relaxed,right on point and had a good mix and production,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I think you did a great job @Brendan,
Nice to see you stretching out over the 4 frets👍
You looked relaxed and the tone I think was ok,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

I bought a capo for guitar but only use it with my bass now :slight_smile:

Still have never felt the need for gauges or rulers though. Allen wrenches work fine to measure thinga when I need to, but usually it’s by feel.

This will change if I ever do my own fret job though. That just looks so much easier with the correct tools.

3 Likes

My engineer anal-retentive side must measure everything (even though I know humidity changes keep the thing in constant motion essentially.

3 Likes

Youtube shows this as partially blocked, so let me know if I need to repost this somewhere else. I can see it, and it doesn’t tell me where it’s blocked, so…
https://youtu.be/-G1vrkd1VQ8

(I need to remember to turn the TV off so that the lighting doesn’t constantly change…)

In the interest of catching back up with the challenge, I recorded this basically as early as I could - didn’t memorize the song, so I’m looking at the music throughout (even though it’s just 2 different 8 bar patterns). A couple of small timing flubs, but I think it’s generally solid. If I’m wrong, let me know…

As always, open to critiques and comments. It’s mostly why I’m doing this. :slight_smile:

While I didn’t spend much time with this song, and it’s a simple line, I had fun covering it… (uh, despite how I look in the video :slight_smile:)

Now I need to try to make some progress in B2B before the next song opens up and sucks up all my practice time…

18 Likes

Plays fine for me. I think you played it spot on. I certainly didn’t detect any flaws or see anything of note to mention. And nothing wrong with bringing your own lightshow. :wink:

4 Likes

Sounds and looks good @skydvr! Keep on keepin on

5 Likes

Nicely done @skydvr! Like the slide at the end.
:+1:

4 Likes

Nice job @skydvr,
Great to see you stretching your fingers out across 4 frets,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Good job everyone who covered this song. The song brings back some great memories for me.

8 Likes

Glad you are all healed up and that you can still play. Good luck with the short scale!

5 Likes

Good job with the pick. I think i’ll try it for this one as well.
I love your basses!

4 Likes

Here is my entry for week 3.

I tried the pick thing with palm muting. I definitely prefer finger style! Having a blast with the challenge so far.
I think I’m caught up to the current week now.

https://youtu.be/gOfLVEtQr0U

13 Likes

Sounds good to me, @RuknRole . . . . :slight_smile:

Nice work!

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Great job again @RuknRole.
Clean picking!

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know how many damn hands I can play at the same time. I feel like I am playing at 5 different tables, and each table is playing a different card game. But I just have to deal with it, and play one table at a time.

Very nice playing, I enjoyed listening too and looking at your bass. Love it! it is beautiful.

3 Likes

My mom always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.

Yeah, I don’t know how many damn hands I can play at the same time. I feel like I am playing at 5 different tables, and each table is playing a different card game. But I just have to deal with it, and play one table at a time.

Very nice playing, I enjoyed listening too and looking at your bass. Love it! it is beautif

4 Likes