Song 34 - "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes

Loved it John, great job! Dude, it’s like the face of God at 2:04, almost went blind :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hahahahaha. Jesus returns as a shitty bass player in a Wax Trax t-shirt.

3 Likes

Great job @John_E !

Cool effect!

2 Likes

Cross posting this from the ‘Post your Covers’ thread (I had no idea this was one of the songs on the list!)

I was looking at my Kala U Bass hanging on the wall and thought what would that sound like if I played it into my HX Stomp; through an Ampeg B-15 and then added distortion via Darkglass Electronics Microtubes B7K Ultra and a touch of MXR Flanger.

I started playing Bass in Nov 2020. Moises.ai app to remove the original bass line and overdub mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0RiSFd9mOc

HX Stomp
Comp - Line 6 Original Deluxe Compressor
Pre Amp - Mic Requisite Y7 mic preamp
Amp - Ampeg B-15
Delay - Simple Delay (Line6)
Modulation - Retro Reel
Distortion - Darkglass Electronics Microtubes B7K Ultra
Flanger - MXR Flanger
Kala U Bass
Gallistrings Flats
DAI - Focusrite Scarlett Solo

6 Likes

Spot on! Great job. And love the interspersing of Felix Baumgartner’s jump!

1 Like

It’s been a while since I did one from the 50 song collection. Inspired by the @Barney non-traditional U-Bass treatment, I decided to try it fretless. I hope you enjoy, thanks for listening!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdWjnc2g4R4

Squier CV fretless w/ rounds (100% neck, 75% bridge, 0% tone) →
Behringer BDI →
Interface →
Some compression added in Reaper

5 Likes

Nice :slight_smile: Do you feel like after Distant Early Warning you have bandwidth to spare with stuff like this. Just sitting back and having fun with the groove.

The slides into the E are top.

1 Like

Exactly, I’ll get back to Rush again, but enjoying this change of pace. I imagine you can relate after that Jackson 5 marathon :slight_smile:

And I thought I was the only one using foam :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

One question for you - Do prefer playing with a pick?

I’d say I’m neither here nor there. I like using it when the song needs it, but dislike it when it makes it harder or too hard to nail, lol.

I now can say I like both. I have a lot of pick playing covers coming very soon.

1 Like

Well you did an excellent job on Seven Nation Army with a pick.

I never cared for the clacky type sound a pick makes and actually used to make my own picks out of heavy gauge leather. Then when I discovered the foam trick it seemed to clean up the sound a little using a standard pick. I cut slots in the foam so that the strings actually sit inside of, instead of on top of, the foam.

Digging the fretless version @dlamson13, very cool and love the slides!

1 Like

@Barney I don’t know how I missed this unless you also posted in the covers thread and I didn’t, but I love this version. Unique and works so so well on the louder parts!!!

1 Like

Thanks @John_E pretty sure I posted it in the covers thread.
Anyway just a bit of fun. That Kala U Bass punches well above its weight :boxing_glove::boxing_glove:

Thanks @John_E! I’m having a lot of fun with this bass.

great groove - I admire the use of pick :slight_smile:

1 Like

An amazing duo from Detroit! Love the way the kick drum drives this song. I should try to learn that drum line… Anyways, I got the use the B3K side on my Darkglass head this time around. Fun putting some grit into the mix!

Squier P Bass with Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats installed. Pick + Palm muting technique. Volume at 100% and Tone at 0%. Using Cali76 Compressor pedals with these settings: Dry 25%, Out 60%, In 50%, Ratio 60%, Att/Rel 50%, and HPF 75%.

We used these settings on the DG head: Microtubes ON, B3K Mode, Drive 40%, Level 50%, Tone 50%, Blend 50%. Slight bump to the Mids on the EQ sliders.

Hope you enjoy!

3 Likes

I don’t play guitar so the sound is not right, but I like it :slight_smile:

Line 6 Ampeg SVT 4 8x10
Distortion Obsidian 7000 D4,8 L5

4 Likes

When I was leading this one I had all sorts of fuzz/distortion and should have recorded that was. This song is infinitely more interesting with some fuzzy distorted bass. Nice job.

Looks like AI Jack needs a new guitar.

2 Likes

Thank you @John_E . Hehe, yes :slight_smile:

1 Like