Song 35 - "Some Kind of Wonderful" by Grand Funk Railroad

Song: Some Kind of Wonderful
Artist: Grand Funk Railroad
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eZM-rtqBfU

Spotify Link

2 Likes

Yay, two in one day! Getting the feel just right on this is tricky, it comes and it goes for me here. Going to ship it though, not one of favorite tunes in the challenge, but I definitely see why Josh chose it. Thanks for listening!
https://youtu.be/04HEI30_KB4

3 Likes

I haven’t been able to reprogram to chug in what I feel like is ‘reverse’ of what my brain wants me to chug this - i am assuming this is what you mean by tricky here.
You did great here, sounded seamless to me @dlamson13 and great tone too!

1 Like

While I had no problem with BJ in B2B, this song is the one that kicked my ass the most. I still cannot get it 100%. Good job!

1 Like

Thanks a lot @John_E!

Exactly what I meant, glad I’m not the only one :slight_smile: I ended up doing an overdub to fix the biggest issue. I started and ended right, but midway through the song, I inverted the swing from long-short to short-long and it sounds really off when you do that, but punch in/out is a beautiful thing.

Thanks! I wasn’t sure at first, but playing it back a few days later it’s one of my favorite recorded tones to date. I’m going to update the original post with the details so I remember how I did it.

1 Like

Thanks @EddieJones! I also think its harder than BJ. It’s deceptive though because It looks like the easiest song in the world when you read the tab.

I started putting in notes on all my settings in Abelton, there’s an info text field that I use. I’m sure you have something like that in every DAW

1 Like

All aboard the funk train!

Had some issues with the fills in the outro, so I did some overlays there. I think I stayed on groove for most of the track, so that’s a plus. I do like playing this one but I’ve been itching to add another one to the completed list so here we are!

:smiley:

4 Likes

Nice! Great tone @cheeze_pizza

Some minor bits slid off the groove here and there but otherwise outstanding. Had to keep that simple riff going steady for sure! Well done.

1 Like

Thanks @John_E

Not many people have finished this one, but great work as always from @dlamson13 and @cheeze_pizza! :slight_smile: I had planned to upload this today, but this is actually harder than what I first thought, especially after a couple of hours of shoveling snow. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Far too much work lately, but now I hope I can say this is okay for now. There are some mistakes, but let’s just call them artistic freedom. :slight_smile:

Line 6 pod GO - Ampeg SVT 4 - 8X10
EZ Mix 2 - bass 2

1 Like

Great job IMO!

1 Like

Thank you @John_E