Song 4 - "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash

IIRC this tune is a little off tuning

2 Likes

IIRC this tune is a little off tuning

That makes a lot of sense! Something seemed just slightly off when going to the C# on the G string and I double checked with two separate tuners that I was in tune.

1 Like

Great tip - I think I’m spoiled by playing songs that have a little heads up before the bass kicks in

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed feedback, @Lanny! Can you elaborate a little on this? The “tucking” habit is something I developed pretty early on and I used to worry a lot about it in my first couple weeks of playing but have since kind of shrugged it off as some bonus muting insurance for the lower strings.

Can you explain a little more what you mean by those two fingers being instrumental in the muting process? I’m always looking for more muting tips :laughing:

Very nicely done @RoyB !
:+1:

1 Like

Greetings all, here is my take on Johnny Cash. This gave me a great excuse to breakout an old T-Shirt my wife won’t let me wear out in public :laughing: This is my first time recording a cover with a DAW, got a lot to learn but having fun doing it!

13 Likes

nice job @dlamson13
I like your fills too.
The one comment I would make is the bass sounds like it is rushing the beat a bit.
This song seems to bring that out in most of us. After all, we are rollin’ that train down the track, gotta keep it movin’ :upside_down_face:, but what it tends to push us to do is to rush the beat a bit.
Great tone and otherwise awesome job!

3 Likes

Nice first up @dlamson13 ,
Good tone in the mix, just a bit of work to do on the syncing.
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Really enjoyed this @dlamson13 ! Beautiful tone.

3 Likes

Thanks @John_E! You’re definitely right about the rushing, must be that train thing :cowboy_hat_face: I never felt as locked into this one as I did with the others. Will keep it in my “setlist” going forward and work on slowin’ my roll haha!
As for the tone, I wasn’t sure a bass with active humbuckers would pull it off, but I just killed all treble everywhere and was pretty happy with it.
Take care,
Dan

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @TNKA36! Will do,
Take care,
Dan

1 Like

Thanks @sakkasie! Glad you liked the tone. My previous cover of “Crazy” was a muddy mess, so switching over to using a DAW seems to be helping,
Take care,
Dan

1 Like

Nice job @dlamson13…!! Good tone, and also a great first time mixing using a DAW…. A bit of rushing the song along by using a somewhat aggressive attack gives the song more of a rock style groove though - one of the things most guitar players turned bass players often have to deal with when playing bass vs guitar….

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

2 Likes

Thanks for listening @Lanny, you know it! I have a tendency to try and turn everything into a rocker. Might be better suited for next week’s AC/DC attempt :metal: Glad I started using Reaper, might throw a few guitar tracks into the next one for fun and some mixing practice.
Take care,
Dan

3 Likes

Great job @dlamson13 ! Perfect tone for the backing track.
:+1:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @JerryP ! Yeah, wasn’t sure about this one but ended up just rolling off a lot of the mids and all treble and it worked. The backing track I stumbled on is played in C (440), so I didn’t need to re-tune which helped too.

2 Likes

The sheet music here notes, “The tape speed was slowed down slightly on the recording, lowering the pitch of all instruments approximately one quarter step. To play along with the recording, tune all strings slight flat.” Also, as far as the transcription goes, it looks like the only difference is that this particular transcription has the bassist playing the fifth above the F# (sixth fret on G string) rather than the fifth below (fourth fret on A string).

2 Likes

I posted this on the covers thread, but I’m posting here too:

This is not a cover of the original version of the song, but of the live version from the album Live At Folsom (1968).

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbg_YHJz-Ps

6 Likes

Well done @robbp
I went and listened to this version, and it sounds to me like he is playing an octave higher than you did in some places (or all?).

in any event, great job

2 Likes

Thank you, @John_E

I listened again and I can’t notice the octave higher thing that you noticed… One thing that I noticed thought is that his bass has way less highs/treble than mine (meaning that mine is “boomier”), so perhaps this is it?

1 Like