Song 4 - "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash

Hmmmm “spend money on DAI/DAW” or “spend money on bass guitar build”? A dilemma for the ages.

1 Like

No dilemma. The answer is always…both.

2 Likes

Interesting @Old_WannaBe …. I’m wondering if (maybe) the metal cover over your PuP may have some bearing on that?? Have you tried playing in front of the cover? Just curious since I’ve never played a bass with a PuP cover before…

I have one of my P bass’s set up tuned 1/2 down and play it at the neck for 12 bar blues and walking bass lines and it really sounds cool with a double bass tone…. I did however have to raise the action at the bridge - especially for the E and A strings since the strings are a bit more “floppy” and will produce a lot of “clack and buzz” of they were adjusted low like they are on my main player…

1 Like

I can’t believe how I never thought of this before. I actually do get better sound if I turn the volume down on the bass and up on the amp. Much less distortion and clipping. Feel like an idiot. Put this is the “this I miss I had known for noobs” category. I never gave it much thought and always kept the bass cranked and then adjusted the amp.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure whether to put this in the Folsom challenge or the Covers thread but here we are!

Basically, I wondered whether I could beat the Youtube copyright checks by speeding the sound up, so I thought I’d try covering something at 1.25 x speed and Folsom was the first song in my playlist. It was definitely more rock n roll at this speed so I thought “what would Lemmy do”…

There are definitely a couple of rough patches at the beginning (the drum beat kept throwing me) but I think it works itself out in the second verse… Either way, definitely worth playing with the speed settings - it really gives a song a new lease of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsMRys6gbKs

12 Likes

Very nice, @Ed . . . Yeah, a slight problem at the beginning as you mentioned, but it did have a bit of a different sound . . . and it got smoother as you progressed.

Let’s see how the “copyright gods” like it now!

I like that Ricky, too! :wink:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Sounds good @ed , although it struck me as rather strange at that fast speed. You did a good job on the picking of the bass line.

3 Likes

Good job @Ed. I suppose by using a pick on this song that you’d kinda wanna speed it up… I’d have to agree with @PamPurrs Pam in that the song itself was somewhat strange at that speed…

4 Likes

Thanks guys!

Keeping the pace was definitely tricky and that kind of shuffle rhythm kept on throwing me for the first verse or so. IMO the Rick is definitely the weapon of choice for rock n roll @Jazzbass19 :slight_smile:

@PamPurrs @Lanny Wait til I slow it down to do the reggae cover :wink:

5 Likes

Loved it! That was great! That song needed to be sped up a bit.
:+1:

5 Likes

Thanks! I was thinking for a moment about trying it at 1.5x speed but that was pretty insane :grin:

4 Likes

What a great idea!
I don’t play sax very quickly, and slow a lot of faster stuff down to ballads and it makes them all brand new tunes that way.
Great job bringing this one up in speed.
It’s so fitting that I am shocked no one has ever done this and made a hit out of it. The way you picked it was awesome!

4 Likes

Hey thanks @John_E :grin:. I only recently discovered the YouTube speed function but it offers loads of possibilities…

Doesn’t get round the copyright though :frowning:

Still are you thinking of using your sax in the covers? Could sound pretty cool in a morphine sort of way …

3 Likes

Yes indeed. That said, I have been really lax in getting back into playing them. Between the oral surgery and work travel and now the holidays it still has taken a back seat sadly.

Woodwinds and brass are a lot like working out at the gym. Skip a day, ok. Skip a few, gonna hurt you. Skip a week, sounding bleak. Been so focused on bass (and finishing up my DAW class and talkingbass scales course and C4 Synth class and DAW controller class and building a workbench and and and) that finding a hard time getting sax back in the mix (literally :upside_down_face:).

This week is my ‘clean up all the loose ends’ week and hope to get the focus back on sax in a big way.

5 Likes

yeah my wife says this about the flute… It might do you good to schedule some time away from the bass and to just have a sax week to get back in the groove again.

3 Likes

Indeed.
Just oiled them all up again.
I have been playing here and there over the last few weeks but not back to my ‘fighting weight’ yet.

4 Likes

Good job. Nice bass too!

3 Likes

Thanks man :grin:

2 Likes

Loved it, it sure is Lemmy style. Great job!

2 Likes

Very cool at that speed @Ed ,
You made the Ricky fit right in with the pick use,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes