Song 40 - "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson

Oh yes… she’s back. Can your fingers hold out for the whole song?

Song: Billie Jean
Artist: Michael Jean
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr4EQDVETuA

Spotify Link

3 Likes

Recorded this about a month ago. This will be my last challenge song for a while, embarking on a side project.

https://youtu.be/BFmrc8tOMsQ

9 Likes

Outstanding!
Makes my fingers cramp just remembering my own experience trying to play this!

1 Like

It was definitely a finger workout.

Nice job! Think your fingers probably need a visit to the spa after that.

1 Like

I’ve just been playing this from module 4 of B2B which must be a shortened version. Is the opening of this song 16 bars of the same (starting on D string)?

1 Like

If you have the course, you can go into the Extras section and get the play-along tab for all of the 50 songs in full. If you can’t find it then let me know.

2 Likes

Hey @JT sorry should have mentioned that I was looking at that in the extras and just wanted to clarify I was reading it correctly.

1 Like

Yes - 16 bars starting on F# (4th fret D string) before moving to B (4th fret G string)

2 Likes

I am procrastinating on both versions B2B and 50 songs. my plucking fingers are having trouble keeping up with the speed yet I can have the tune down pat.

1 Like

You can find a YouTube video of the tune and set the speed to where you are comfortable.
Then, creep, and I mean creep it up, 2% or so, play it til you are cool, then continue.
Your fingers will start to get the message and you will speed up before you know it.
For some reason, that last 5% always feels like 15% or more to me though! :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

As @John_E mentioned above, start playing it slow over and over and when you feel comfortable speed it up a bit. Next thing you know you’ll be up to speed without even trying.

1 Like

Here is my version of the infamous Billie Jean. As you’ll notice, I’ve opted to play it starting on the E string instead of the A, easier on my hand that way. I stumbled on this chorus effect by accident while playing with my Zoom B1Four and liked how it sounded in this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqodX6-sbic

Tech Stuff: Squier CV Jazz Bass (Bridge 100% Neck 100%, Tone 25%) → Zoom B1Four (DynaComp + Clone Chorus) → Behringer BDI → Interface → Reaper (Post EQ)

8 Likes

One more and you are at 40 (if i can count right)!!!
Man o man did you nail this one.
If you flubbed something I missed it
Is this the fretless again?

keep going man, you will be our first 50 song completer and will ever live in infamy here, lol.

2 Likes

Thank you John! You did count right. Having goals helps me a lot, and so has learning these songs, so I really want to finish this thing. I don’t need to be first though, you know, I’d like to still be able to go out and buy a cup of coffee without being recognized :rofl:

It is. I find myself choosing it a lot lately, it’s more versatile than I first thought it would be.

2 Likes

Great job! Inspiring to see someone play it so well. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thank you @Darryl! Been playing the riff since taking the course in November 21. I remember it sounding pretty sad back then. Keep working on it, it’s a great strength and endurance builder for sure.

1 Like

Well I certainly didn’t think I’d be posting this in 2023…but here we are!

I took the same approach as @dlamson13 and played higher up on the neck. Originally I was using the JMJ short scale for the closer frets but I still had my hand cramp up on me quite a few times. So I picked up the JINO and it felt easier to fret the notes so I kept going that way.

No sheet music, no chair. Just a man, his jazz bass and a groove.

5 Likes

That sounded perfect, way to go :pizza: !!

1 Like

That sounded spot on! Fantastic!

1 Like