Song 41 - "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen

My first car that ran was a 64 Ford Falcon with 3 on the tree. Learned how to drive it while taking it home. 1stcar was a 73 Gremlin that barley cranked, much less was drivable. Had a bad tranny. I sold it for $75.00 and took that and $50.00 more and bought the Falcon at a local auction. Drove that damned thing all through HS.

1 Like

Brilliant @PamPurrs - I probably shouldn’t bring up the war, but is that your old BB735? I can see why you wanted it back - it’s a beauty.

2 Likes

Yes it is, and yes, she was a beauty. At least I still have the pickguard with the rose on it that Sara made for me. The rest is just a memory.

2 Likes

I may have missed it but why did you sell it?

1 Like

I plead temporary insanity

1 Like

From what I have seen, Yamaha is the best at their price points and consistently make great products across the board. One would have to be insane to sell such a quality instrument. Oh wait, you said that.

1 Like

And again when you cancelled your re-order of it (which I also did)?
Perhaps we are all ‘temorarily’ nuts.

1 Like

Love playing this! I think I’ve underappreciated just how good Queen was. My 10 year old daughter heard the song “Bicycle” on a recent road trip for the first time and loved it. She already liked “Bohemian Rhapsody”, so we decided to listen to a Queen playlist the rest of the ride. What really struck me was how musically ambitious they were. Every song is carefully arranged and interesting. Take this song, a good fun simple tribute to 50’s rock and roll on the surface. Look closer and there is some super cool harmonic things happening. Song is in D, opening riff is major, but just a few seconds later you’ve got C, F, and Bb, in there so now its more like D minor. It toggles around almost seamlessly in that lovely rock and roll way. Okay that’s enough theory, contact someone smarter for a better explanation :laughing: Thanks for checking out my cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9LDBGE3fEo
*Tech Details: * Squier Classic Vibe Fretless Jazz (100% neck, 75% bridge, 100% tone) → Behringer BDI → Interface

4 Likes

Every so often I go really really really deep with Queen and can’t stop playing them for months, then get sick of them and need a break. They were amazing, Freddy was phenomenal.

Speaking of phenomenal, the fretless here is just that - WOW.
I just remembered going to a block party last summer where our neighbors had a small band play, and the bassist played fretless all night long, regardless of genere.
It’s all technique brother, and you gots it!
Well done @dlamson13

You are closing in on 50/51! Go man go!

2 Likes

Thanks so much John!

That’s exactly who I aspire to be right now. A guy who rocks out with a fretless, just because he likes to, whether the song calls for it or not.

Thanks, that’s #45. I’m going to take my sweet time on these last 5/6, so I can figure out what to do after all this haha!

2 Likes

Sure enjoyed that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great song, this is one I would hear many times over on the WRIF growing up. I guess I wasn’t clued into the fact that it was a Queen song! It’s fun to play… I love all the sliding around the fretboard!

No sheet music :white_check_mark:
No chair :white_check_mark:
Bad dancing during the acapella verse :white_check_mark:

4 Likes

Very good @cheeze_pizza ! Don’t think I ever manage the acapella unless you start a B2BD course.:joy::joy:

2 Likes

Thanks man! Don’t hold your breath on the dancing course! :rofl:

3 Likes

Why not? Looks like it would be a quick one! :man_dancing::guitar:

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

OK, I know that 40 is the number after 39, but since I have been to dance school this crazy little thing came first. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice playing as always. The tab below is not tracking properly FYI.

Tone very good on this as well, mix great!

1 Like

Thank you @John_E I will try to fix the sync of the tab.:+1:

I’m struggling to get the fast four note run under control. I’m happy playing the rest of the song at full tempo but my left hand fingers just won’t move fast enough. Any tips?

Are you guys barring the 7th fret?

Let it lie for a while, come back to it in a couple weeks.
You would be suprised what your brain and body discuss when you’re not watching, lol.

The other technique is slow it down until you can play it perfectly, then inch up 2bpm at a time and only inch when you can play it perfectly every time.