Song 48 - "Testify" by Rage Against The Machine

Song: Testify
Artist: Rage Against The Machine
Tuning: Drop-D (DADG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVB3upn54AY

Spotify Link

2 Likes

I’ve always reached for rock music, and playing music for that matter, as a means of escape. That’s probably why the whole serious vibe of RATM never really did it for me. That said, I am truly thankful that the 50 song challenge included this song, because I’ve gained a whole new appreciation for them after learning this song and listening to their music. The band has SO much GROOVE. Commerford is a fantastic and unique player. Completely essential to the band, kind of the gravity, while the rest of the band is about to fly off into space, his grooves pull it all together.

Here is my take performed on my Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass. I’m really happy with how the fretless sounds on the slides in the verses. The overdrive comes from almost maxing out the drive knob on my Behringer BDI box. Thanks for listening!

7 Likes

:+1: I agree about the slides they sounded cool on the fretless smooth and loud

2 Likes

Wow! Great job man. I loved the slide action and your groove was excellent. Loved the little tease at the end as well. :eyes:

3 Likes

I too am a late comer to RATM, and am only lately really coming to appreciate how damn cool they are. They really do have a load of groove and funk mixed in.

You sound fantastic on this @dlamson13
I am constantly amazed how you make that fretless fit just about every musical scenario so so so well.

Loved everything about this.

3 Likes

Thanks @g13dip!

2 Likes

Thanks @cheeze_pizza!

Nice catch!

3 Likes

Thank you John! I’m down to 2 basses now, and I thought for sure I’d be using the Fernandes this time, but when I A/B’d it, I just loved the slides too much. Tim Commerford does a lot of bending too and that sounds interesting when you replicate it by playing off pitch, or sliding past the fret line.

2 Likes

Everyone is knocking it out of the covers park this month. I know a handful of RATM songs but thought this sounded tight. :tiger: :tiger: :tiger: :tiger:

Is the Easter egg because Killing in the Name is the next song on the album? Inquiring minds etc?

2 Likes

Thanks @Barney!

Killing in the Name was on an earlier album but I just kind of linked the two one night when doing a play through after letting the low D ring out. I feel like it would be a great transition in a concert, I wonder if they ever played them back to back in a setlist?

1 Like

Wow. Great job. I never would have thought a fretless would sound so good on a RATM song. That sounded really good.

1 Like

I have to post this here. From what I have heard, RATM realized it was much cheaper to book fair grounds than other large venues. in 1996 Spanish Fork City, in Utah didn’t realize who Rage was when they let them book the city fairgrounds and it terrified the community there. Spanish Fork is where I go grocery shopping these days. I live in a much smaller town 40 miles away.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot Eric! I used that bass in a Sabbath cover a while back and that was kind of a game changer for me. I learned a fretless can sound really cool and interesting when distorted in heavier music.

1 Like

That’s wild! I imagine the diner could get overrun by hungry concert goers, but car dealerships? Unless of course the automobile is the machine being raged against :rofl:

2 Likes

Some fun doing those slides! I did find the transition near the end really difficult to pull off so I simplified it.

5 Likes

Sounding great! I think that slide riff followed up by those ghost notes is so creative and cool. You gotta be super close to 50 now. Way to go :pizza: !

2 Likes

Thanks man! 2 more to go!

1 Like

This. Was. Epic.
Fantastic playing and even better tone.
Nailed it man!

1 Like

Never liked this song much, but now I do! :slight_smile: Great job!

1 Like

Thanks so much! Those slides are fun to do, I hope you enjoy it when you work on this song. :smiley:

1 Like