Song 49 - "Under the Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Song: Under the Bridge
Artist: Red Hot Chili Peppers
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UnU3r0M3zg

Spotify Link

2 Likes

I am standing on the Final Frontier of the 50 Song Challenge, this is the last song that no one has covered yet! So together we’ve done them all. That’s pretty cool and here’s to many more covers in the future :beers: : As for me I still have Bon Jovi and Def Leppard to do yet :wink:

This song challenged me to add some more expression in my playing and hitting the fifths on the fretless is always tricky for me. I love learning Flea basslines. I think he writes such interesting and melodic parts. A special thank you to my lovely daughter Cora for creating the animation in the beginning. It is truly a blessing to collaborate with her. Thanks for listening and I hope you enjoy.

3 Likes

Awesome dude! You’re so close to finishing the challenge. I’ve already got the Def Leppard one down… :sweat_smile:

Loved the fretless sound on this one and it was very groovy.

1 Like

Great job man!
What is really cool about you and the fretless is you are putting your voice on these tunes, yet they still stay true to the original and what someone would expect to hear, just with the @dlamson13 sound!

Some of these tunes are really going to be a stretch for me, glad you are leading us to the finish line, and really glad every single tune has been tried at least once.

I assume you mean Muse vs. Def Lepard, and, Muse is #51 - even the new math says 50 does not equate to 51. :thinking: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @cheeze_pizza! I enjoyed playing those melodic parts at the end on the fretless.

1 Like

This is why I’ve been very tactful in always saying “50 Songs Challenge” - I’m still not sure how I’m gonna complete Billy Jean and a few others :grimacing: let alone trying to take on the Muse song…

1 Like

Wow John, thank you, that’s really the ultimate compliment! This approach evolved over time but I found I was having the most fun doing covers that are “inspired by” the original bassist with my own spin. So even though Flea or Tim Commerford or Geezer aren’t known as fretless players. I do try to capture/interpret their “feel”. I hope to one day try to come up with some original stuff using this approach.

Haha I know right? Well If I have to make a Cover of a Radiohead Cover band’s Cover of Def Lepard, to finish this thing, so be it :rofl:

2 Likes

You will get them all, I know it! A lot of these were once out of reach for me. As for the Muse song, Josh’s video is helping a lot, but I have a long way to go to get it up to tempo.

1 Like

After finishing Soul to Squeeze, I guess I was on a Chili Peppers vibe! This song is kinda similar in some ways. I took some liberties withe the bits towards the end but they sounded pretty good in the end so I went with it. Lots of fun to bring the JINO back out to play!

3 Likes

Sounds great @cheeze_pizza
Bit high in the mix and a wisker distorted on this end (unless that was on purpose).
Nice playing as usual.

1 Like

I let the JINO go a bit hot into the amp on this one and even through it wasn’t exactly in the spirit of the song I liked it. Thanks for checking it out!

1 Like