Song 5 - "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC

@John_E nailed it. That tone is perfect. Yes, the challenge of playing whilst standing up is not to be underestimated :grin:

4 Likes

I am so late for this one. Schools are closed down again here in Ontario for the last few weeks, so between the FT job of Zoom-Schooling and FT job of paramedic, there’s very little time left…
I Completely missed Folsom Prison Blues, but am working hard on this one. Will just submit late.
@RuknRole: sounds amazing, very polished.
@John_E: I like the sound, welcome to the stand-while-you-play club. I usually find it hard to sit and play myself. Also, we get a better view of your collection!
@Barney: you said you only just started playing a few months ago? You don’t sound like a few months player. Great timing, looks effortless.

Hoping to get mine in by next week…

5 Likes

Don’t stress it. I haven’t done mine yet either, but will get it done by this weekend at the latest. Sometimes life takes over and that’s perfectly fine. This is just for education and fun so just do it when you can.

1 Like

Awesome @John_E! Love that bass!!

2 Likes

Great job @Barney! Rock on my brother!! :metal:

1 Like

Here’s my effort, while doing this one I realized that I’ve been getting a bit sloppy so I started using the metronome to do some deliberate plucking while taming the flying fingers… I hope to see some results later
I was excited about this song, I mean who doesn’t like HtH? but I had difficulty getting a reference point to keep the rhythm and changes, so I fell behind more than once… that’s been a thing on the last 2 songs for me

EDIT: reposted on Vimeo

7 Likes

31 posts were merged into an existing topic: YouTube BLOWS - Where else can you host and link to embedded files

Just finished B2B, so now I’m going to learn this in earnest! Ab should be fine, I’ll just bump the low Eb up an octave.

2 Likes

However you want to do it is great, but the retuned backing track is available if you’re so inclined…

Oh in that case, I’d use it. I don’t see a link in this thread though, do you know where it is?

@fosskers I used this retuned version for my effort. Stayed in standard tuning.

AC/DC "Highway to Hell": Retuned A-440 Version - YouTube

1 Like

I feel ya on the standing for the first time @John_E! The first time I stood while playing was awkward as hell! I’d been sitting while playing from the get-go…

Props, dude!
:metal: :notes: :guitar: :notes: :metal:

2 Likes

There’s a folder you can get a link to on our Discord that has access to all the backing tracks, printable tab, etc.

3 Likes

Maybe @JoshFossgreen can split off the how and where to post video/audio portion of this thread to the one @T_dub created “YouTube Sucks”, that it can stay true to the challenge?

3 Likes

Thanks @John_E, done! Posts moved to YouTube BLOWS - Where else can you host and link to embedded files

4 Likes

Ok at first the A-E-F#-E-G-F# lick was killing me, especially when accounting for muting going from the open-A to the open-E. Now it’s okay. I love that later on one of the licks sounds like Ghostbusters haha.

4 Likes

Yeah, this song has some tricky bits. I imagine it’s especially hard if anyone isn’t familiar with the song. I instinctively know when to come in after the long pause because I’m so familiar with the song. What I’m trying to get down right now is some of those trickier parts towards the end of the song. I’m 80% there. Probably record it tomorrow.

2 Likes

Here’s my recording. Far from perfect, but I struggled to get a take that didn’t have a few bum notes. Always happened in different places though! This wasn’t too bad, except I whiffed on one note completely. I was concentrating a lot on the staccato, which is what kept making me mess up in other places. Anyway, time to move on…

Also, syncing was an issue on this. Not sure why. If I sync’d one half of the song, the other half was out of sync.

11 Likes

Not bad at all, @JT . . . :slight_smile:

Long time AC/DC fan here! :+1:

Cheers
Joe

1 Like

Nice job @JT
You caught your staccato note bits, enjoyed the take!

The one thing I notice is your intently reading the sheet music. Try to free yourself from the sheet. You will get more comfortable with the song overall. Might take more frustrating takes but it does help to learn the song cold. One less thing to manage when recording.

3 Likes