Song 50 - "You Give Love a Bad Name" by Bon Jovi

Song: You Give Love a Bad Name
Artist: Bon Jovi
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqc3VTpz9HQ

Spotify Link

1 Like

Looked into this song today, great bassline, love it.

Sheet music / tabs seems to differ from the bassline played (and from the original song). First and second pass of this section appear to be slightly different. Could you please take a look @JoshFossgreen

1 Like

Nope, it is correct as written! Your ear is getting tricked by the kick drum and guitar parts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3IWezqlbcM

1 Like

Thanks @JoshFossgreen :+1:

1 Like

Excuse me for bothering you again, @JoshFossgreen but I keep stumblin’ over the second red marked note in the first verse. Compared with the second verse (which seems to be correct to me) this note is obviously wrong

1 Like

@thomas - those notes you marked are tied to the previous note and are not played, rather held from the note prior, even if the tab marking is there.
The first bar line above does not show the tab mark for this same tie but they are in fact all the same.
Often that second note is in (3) to indicate it is not played vs. simply calling it out.
Is that the confusion here?

3 Likes

No @John_E but I made a mistake in my previous post. It’s not the first, but the second marked note which doesn’t fit and which is different in the second verse. Thanks for wakin’ me up!

The tied note is played different when you listen to the bass line played by the demo. And it makes sense, since it is a repeated two bar pattern. But I’m not gonna insist on the tied note after Josh’ reply.

3 Likes

Ah! I realized what’s up. There was a slight mistake in the tab there, that 3 should have been omitted like it is at the beginning of the phrase, since it’s a tied note. Sometimes notation software fills those in regardless of ties, so it’s all manual fact-checking to get it cleaned up.

I mistakenly read your image as though you had put both those 3’s in red. Anyway, fixed now!

And not sure what you’re hearing between verses, but the first and second verses are exactly the same down to the note!

4 Likes

Looks there was some misunderstanding, always thought both verses are identical. Apologies for my bad English, I’m not a native.

Good to hear the problem is solved.

2 Likes

No worries, thanks for keeping me honest with attention to detail! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Song # 50 ‘You give love a bad name’ by Bon Jovi

https://youtu.be/femXC3ujltY

7 Likes

This is very very good @thomas
Great all around!!!

1 Like

School of Rock, You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi - YouTube - we struggled on the ending, and I don’t do the octaves during the chorus. But still super fun…

4 Likes

Pretty nice bass playing there @cbaray
You even started smiling towards the end, looks like it was a good time.

1 Like

I love your floating thumb technique. When I do it, my fingers get tangled up but I am working on it.

2 Likes

Ha. I am self conscious about my bass face. Usually, I’m smiling cause I recognize a mistake I made or someone else made, or one we usually make and didn’t make…I feel like it’s a tell! The ending - lots of opportunities to make mistakes, so of course I’m smiling…

1 Like

Hi, this is my cover of You Give Love a Bad Name.

7 Likes

Nice playing @ChrisoBass, excellent cover! I just started learning this one.

1 Like

Dang, that was a great cover! I wish the bass was a little higher in the mix… It was very well played though! Nice picking action! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you, I really enjoyed learning it.

1 Like