Song 51 (Bonus) - "Hysteria" by Muse

Song: Hysteria
Artist: Muse
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

Spotify Link

3 Likes

Nice job @JT

Well … this could be the distraction I need to take my mind off The Lemon Song. I mean why not go from Frying pan to Blast Furnace hey! :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

This song is so hard… like in so many ways. Making it sound good is really hard. I had made a preset on my Zoom, but when I recorded with it it sounded so bad. So I went back and recorded it pretty clean, but I don’t have many plug ins, so it was a nightmare to mix and edit. I left in some of the original bass to help with the sound. What else is weird about this song is that it’s hard to find a balance between the sound of your bass and the backing track while recording. If you can’t hear the track you get lost, if you can’t hear your bass you get lost, but it’s hard to find that sweet spot… for me anyway. I spent way to much time on this today. Maybe I’ll try again in a year or two and see how it goes.

15 Likes

It’s great to have some long-term projects; also those that you work on for a while, then let them “rest” for weeks/months and then re-visit them!

Also like your Rude cymbals - I used to own a Rude hi-hat that I really liked a lot.

2 Likes

Still well done! This song takes a lot of dedication and stamina :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The hats are what got me. I tried them out at GC and they were the best sounding hats they had, then I went all in.

Thanks Paul!

2 Likes

@Paul_9207 Love seeing you do your thing, man

1 Like

Thank you @booker_t !!

I really enjoyed that. Surely the whole point of this thing is to stretch ourselves. I mean we can’t all be Chris Wolstenholme. Mainly because it would be really confusing (everyone called Chris on the forum) and he’s a amazing bassist.

I recently watched my first ever cover recorded over 18 months ago. It was interesting to see where I was and where I am. So I think it’s the ‘doing of the thing’ that’s the important element not the ‘am I note / timing / tone perfect’. Oh and nice drumming.

I’m slowly recovering from this stupid virus and my current project is 118bpm 16th notes, which is present day Kryptonite. But I’ve mentally committed to the song, so it’ll be a while.

This is still the best thread :metal:

1 Like

I’m till tiring and losing timing at about 5 minutes at 80 bpm’s with 16th’s. When you get past 100 , hitting octaves, give “What Is Hip” a try. (The least you could do after laughing during “I Want You Back”).

2 Likes

Thanks Barney. I agree with you. We should all be pushing our limits at least a little… I got really fired up to record this video yesterday, it became a whole ordeal- my phone kept shutting off in the middle of recording the drums, like 3 or 4 times. Then I recorded the bass umm… so many times- and I still wasn’t happy with it. But I went to all the effort to make the dang video so I posted it.

Doesn’t keep us from trying though :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Apologies I totally missed the jacket reference. People are seriously stepping up their game in this thread :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You rock @Paul_9207! I agree with @Barney, we’re supposed to stretch ourselves here, and this was very good for sure. Also, I know very little about drums or miking them but I think the snare hits sounded cool as hell on this :metal:

I was thinking about this too, like if I ever finish the 50 songs, I may go back and redo ABITW, just to compare.

1 Like

Although I know the tune and know it’s technically challenging, I don’t really “know the tune”. I know the real Hysteria in all its hair band glory.

But here’s the thing.
If I was out at a bar or a show and heard this I’d go “oh, it’s that poser Hysteria song….but that guy sounds and plays great”.

Period.

1 Like

thanks! the sound of the snare is important to me. I’m glad it sounded cool in this video and I’m glad you liked it.

1 Like

thanks John!

I have a group of guys I play with on occasion. I made a list of songs for us to jam to and just wrote “hysteria” in the text. He was so confused when we started playing Muse.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr9fg-oQX-M

7 Likes

Nice job! I was looking through your videos and realized I had watched and commented on your cover of Untitled by the Cure before I started doing my own covers.

1 Like

This is a tough one. Would love to come back and do it cleaner someday but happy just to be able to keep up for now. I’ve been working on this since the Bon Jovi cover 4 months ago. I tried to put my own spin on it, thanks for checking it out!

6 Likes