Song 51 (Bonus) - "Hysteria" by Muse

Song: Hysteria
Artist: Muse
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

Spotify Link

3 Likes

Nice job @JT

Well ā€¦ this could be the distraction I need to take my mind off The Lemon Song. I mean why not go from Frying pan to Blast Furnace hey! :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

This song is so hardā€¦ like in so many ways. Making it sound good is really hard. I had made a preset on my Zoom, but when I recorded with it it sounded so bad. So I went back and recorded it pretty clean, but I donā€™t have many plug ins, so it was a nightmare to mix and edit. I left in some of the original bass to help with the sound. What else is weird about this song is that itā€™s hard to find a balance between the sound of your bass and the backing track while recording. If you canā€™t hear the track you get lost, if you canā€™t hear your bass you get lost, but itā€™s hard to find that sweet spotā€¦ for me anyway. I spent way to much time on this today. Maybe Iā€™ll try again in a year or two and see how it goes.

14 Likes

Itā€™s great to have some long-term projects; also those that you work on for a while, then let them ā€œrestā€ for weeks/months and then re-visit them!

Also like your Rude cymbals - I used to own a Rude hi-hat that I really liked a lot.

2 Likes

Still well done! This song takes a lot of dedication and stamina :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The hats are what got me. I tried them out at GC and they were the best sounding hats they had, then I went all in.

Thanks Paul!

2 Likes

@Paul_9207 Love seeing you do your thing, man

1 Like

Thank you @booker_t !!

I really enjoyed that. Surely the whole point of this thing is to stretch ourselves. I mean we canā€™t all be Chris Wolstenholme. Mainly because it would be really confusing (everyone called Chris on the forum) and heā€™s a amazing bassist.

I recently watched my first ever cover recorded over 18 months ago. It was interesting to see where I was and where I am. So I think itā€™s the ā€˜doing of the thingā€™ thatā€™s the important element not the ā€˜am I note / timing / tone perfectā€™. Oh and nice drumming.

Iā€™m slowly recovering from this stupid virus and my current project is 118bpm 16th notes, which is present day Kryptonite. But Iā€™ve mentally committed to the song, so itā€™ll be a while.

This is still the best thread :metal:

1 Like

Iā€™m till tiring and losing timing at about 5 minutes at 80 bpmā€™s with 16thā€™s. When you get past 100 , hitting octaves, give ā€œWhat Is Hipā€ a try. (The least you could do after laughing during ā€œI Want You Backā€).

2 Likes

Thanks Barney. I agree with you. We should all be pushing our limits at least a littleā€¦ I got really fired up to record this video yesterday, it became a whole ordeal- my phone kept shutting off in the middle of recording the drums, like 3 or 4 times. Then I recorded the bass ummā€¦ so many times- and I still wasnā€™t happy with it. But I went to all the effort to make the dang video so I posted it.

Doesnā€™t keep us from trying though :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Apologies I totally missed the jacket reference. People are seriously stepping up their game in this thread :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You rock @Paul_9207! I agree with @Barney, weā€™re supposed to stretch ourselves here, and this was very good for sure. Also, I know very little about drums or miking them but I think the snare hits sounded cool as hell on this :metal:

I was thinking about this too, like if I ever finish the 50 songs, I may go back and redo ABITW, just to compare.

1 Like

Although I know the tune and know itā€™s technically challenging, I donā€™t really ā€œknow the tuneā€. I know the real Hysteria in all its hair band glory.

But hereā€™s the thing.
If I was out at a bar or a show and heard this Iā€™d go ā€œoh, itā€™s that poser Hysteria songā€¦.but that guy sounds and plays greatā€.

Period.

1 Like

thanks! the sound of the snare is important to me. Iā€™m glad it sounded cool in this video and Iā€™m glad you liked it.

1 Like

thanks John!

I have a group of guys I play with on occasion. I made a list of songs for us to jam to and just wrote ā€œhysteriaā€ in the text. He was so confused when we started playing Muse.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr9fg-oQX-M

7 Likes

Nice job! I was looking through your videos and realized I had watched and commented on your cover of Untitled by the Cure before I started doing my own covers.

1 Like

This is a tough one. Would love to come back and do it cleaner someday but happy just to be able to keep up for now. Iā€™ve been working on this since the Bon Jovi cover 4 months ago. I tried to put my own spin on it, thanks for checking it out!

4 Likes