Song 6 - "Hound Dog" by Elvis Presley

No John_E, this is on my end : server down - -’ . Thanks to try and sorry for this.
It seems I have an issue with randoms gateway timeouts that needs solving. It should work … for now ^^´.

1 Like

Nice tone here @mediaklan
few minor blips and misses but fantastic for just ‘play and go’, well done.
Groove is there for sure throughout.

3 Likes

This was a “play and done” video/recording for me as I don’t care for the song and hearing it repeatedly will drive me nuts :crazy_face: .

Quickly learned the song via a couple run-throughs and cobbled together a quick video/recording. Nothing too fancy. First recording with me standing up, for whatever reason, decided to include reaper screenshot in the background - not sure what I think of that :man_shrugging: . Anyways, here it is:

5 Likes

Nice @brik1970
Love both your bass and the idea to show the recording software along. Sounds good too.

2 Likes

Great job @brik1970 !

1 Like

This one gave me some troubles! First, I had the rhythm off, then I programmed the solo bits in my brain wrong. All these missteps led to about 50 takes to get to the one I’m posting here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS7yCapTTPU

When I started I was giving the note on the 1 too much time so it was more like a long-short-short instead of short-long-short. Then I realized I was using the verse ending bits at the end of the solos which is not correct. Timing the notes at the end was kinda rough as well. This take isn’t spot on but it was close enough that I decided to leave it unedited.

So…with that out of the way, let’s talk specs!

I played this with my Fender Fretless Jazz Bass. It’s strung with Labella Low Tension Flats. Neck volume: 8, Bridge volume: 6, Tone: 0

Ran the bass into the Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 head with an Ampeg SVT15E for the cab.

Darkglass settings: Compression 35%, Microtubes Engine ON, Tone 75%, Blend 35%

XLR Out to Volt 276 with Compression set to GTR and Vintage ON. Audio recorded with GarageBand. Video recorded with OBS. Finished in iMovie.

Thanks for checking it out! :dog:

6 Likes

yikes…I hate having to relearn bits to get them right, you have to reprogram your fingers and sometimes they forget, and I will mistakenly play the wrong way randomly every now and then until the new way is properly set in,
but glad you got there I liked it

3 Likes

Thanks a bunch @g13dip ! :smile:

2 Likes

Enjoyed your vid. Nice playing and very creative video editing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds great @cheeze_pizza! Nice one to break out the fretless on.

I love that about music, same three notes, but a seemingly small rhythmic change makes all the difference.

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch dude! I love using the fretless for 50s era stuff! If the bass has any type of upright sound to it, I will grab the fretless! Was also nice to add some slide-y mwah-ness to the song. After hearing the song so many times I was like, “Does Elvis say anything different in the verses?” Nope… :laughing:

Simple wins the day on this one. Thanks again for your feedback. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Exactly, if I had mine back when I did this, I would’ve used it for sure :+1:

1 Like

I try to use my Fender Japan hollow body with P and Piezo for the upright stuff, as I am not that good on a fretless as of yet. It’s got tapes on it and overall a pretty unique tone but seems to fit the bill (if not really sound like an upright).

Here’s the afore mentioned Sea of Love that I used it on.

1 Like

That might be one of the few non-Zeppelin songs that I can stand Robert Plant on. Growing up the WRIF would play a few Robert Plant songs and I just never got on with them.

This however is a good tune and the bass fit in quite well.

Hello:-)

Here is my try on Hound Dog. Think I will come back to this, because I could do it better. :slight_smile:

Have a good day!

Hound Dog bass cover Bassbuzz 50 song challenge - YouTube

3 Likes

Great job on this one JohnnyB!

2 Likes

Yay Song 6 out of the way. It’s actually a pretty cool song, despite the producer’s best efforts to squeeze the life out of it. I simplified the chorus a little because I thought it sounded more rock. Otherwise it’s just the Hofner running through the AC370 emulator on the Zoom.

Those of you with better ears may notice that I recorded it once with flats and again with rounds. No real rationale - I just changed the strings :slight_smile: .

6 Likes

Perfect bass for the tune @Ed
Sounding really good.
The runs are not as the original, but I really like your interpretation a LOT!

2 Likes

Thanks !

The hofner really is spot on for this. I’m guessing the original was recorded on an acoustic?

1 Like

Very well done Ed! The original was probably an upright.

1 Like