Song 6 - "Hound Dog" by Elvis Presley

Thanks a bunch @g13dip ! :smile:

2 Likes

Enjoyed your vid. Nice playing and very creative video editing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds great @cheeze_pizza! Nice one to break out the fretless on.

I love that about music, same three notes, but a seemingly small rhythmic change makes all the difference.

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch dude! I love using the fretless for 50s era stuff! If the bass has any type of upright sound to it, I will grab the fretless! Was also nice to add some slide-y mwah-ness to the song. After hearing the song so many times I was like, ā€œDoes Elvis say anything different in the verses?ā€ Nopeā€¦ :laughing:

Simple wins the day on this one. Thanks again for your feedback. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Exactly, if I had mine back when I did this, I wouldā€™ve used it for sure :+1:

1 Like

I try to use my Fender Japan hollow body with P and Piezo for the upright stuff, as I am not that good on a fretless as of yet. Itā€™s got tapes on it and overall a pretty unique tone but seems to fit the bill (if not really sound like an upright).

Hereā€™s the afore mentioned Sea of Love that I used it on.

1 Like

That might be one of the few non-Zeppelin songs that I can stand Robert Plant on. Growing up the WRIF would play a few Robert Plant songs and I just never got on with them.

This however is a good tune and the bass fit in quite well.

Hello:-)

Here is my try on Hound Dog. Think I will come back to this, because I could do it better. :slight_smile:

Have a good day!

Hound Dog bass cover Bassbuzz 50 song challenge - YouTube

3 Likes

Great job on this one JohnnyB!

2 Likes

Yay Song 6 out of the way. Itā€™s actually a pretty cool song, despite the producerā€™s best efforts to squeeze the life out of it. I simplified the chorus a little because I thought it sounded more rock. Otherwise itā€™s just the Hofner running through the AC370 emulator on the Zoom.

Those of you with better ears may notice that I recorded it once with flats and again with rounds. No real rationale - I just changed the strings :slight_smile: .

6 Likes

Perfect bass for the tune @Ed
Sounding really good.
The runs are not as the original, but I really like your interpretation a LOT!

2 Likes

Thanks !

The hofner really is spot on for this. Iā€™m guessing the original was recorded on an acoustic?

1 Like

Very well done Ed! The original was probably an upright.

1 Like

Nice :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

Nice job @Ed! I like that you put your own spin on it.

2 Likes

In the words of the King, @dlamson13 , Thank you very much !

2 Likes

you aint nothing but a Hound Dog

I forgot to press record on the camera for the better take, but I was close enough in the prior take that I just used that ones video with the better audio. As a result the video wonā€™t match the audio in a couple spots but oh well.

I found on this song, I had to adjust the guitar higher up to relax my fretting hand more and avoid a carpel tunnel flare up. Otherwise a fun song and on to the next one.

4 Likes

Nice job @myheadsmt91
Still ahead of the best in some places, but you are getting there! Keep ā€˜em coming. Great work.

2 Likes

Great job @myheadsmt91 !

1 Like