Song 6 - "Hound Dog" by Elvis Presley

Nice job @groaner and friends :slight_smile: I like the double bass like thump in your tone. The left hand shifting will become an auto-pilot thing, keep it up!

2 Likes

Very nice Mr. @groaner, nice tone and timing is pretty darn good throughout. I think you did a really good job.

One thing to point out though is note duration.
Note below the second note in the riff is a half beat longer than the other two, giving the song its ā€˜feelā€™. The rest before it is important too.
Go have a listen to the orginal and see if you can hear the difference in feel.
These become the difference between a meh cover band and a great cover band, IMO

These are very subtle things, but, these are why Josh puts these songs up here.
They are in no way random picks of easy, medium, hard.
Each tune teaches something or reinforceds something taught in the course.
Different tuning, syncopation, chugging, stamina, etc.

Of course, everyone is welcome to play them any way they want (this is really important to note) however, if you want to learn from the tunes too, then really reviewing the sheet music is key. Kinda like when they say ā€˜read the entire recipe before you startā€™ (and no one does, lol).

The big thing I am noticing though is your incredible and quick improvement song to song.
You are doing GREAT man.

2 Likes

Thanks again, John. This tak3e is about #69, so my stamina may be a little low and missing some, many of those note holds. I think you can hear it sometimes, but at this point I was mostly trying to get it done. Iā€™d been working on it for a couple weeks so was happy to just see it done.

Iā€™ll work on that aspect, though. And again, if I record a better version Iā€™ll update here.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m hoping for!
Thanks!

1 Like

Getting back into practicing again. Hereā€™s my rough attempt at Hound Dog:
IG:https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnAgjrXqD9r/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

YouTube: Elvis Presley Hound Dog bass cover - YouTube

8 Likes

Hey @Anderson !!
Welcome back brother!

Sounding pretty darn good.
Got a bit ahead of the beat a few times but that will come back to you as well as you relax a bit when playing.
Overall nice job, keep 'em coming.

3 Likes

Good job @Anderson ! Keep the coming!
:+1:

1 Like

This one was quite enjoyable. What a great song
https://audio.jukehost.co.uk/W90DWxjtrCotZ1IjsV4287yR32k99k5H

5 Likes

Fanstastix!

2 Likes

Awesome @Ant !

No fancy video this time. Since I was using this song as a training means, I could just as well record one of my sessions on a whim ā€¦ So, there it is :

7 Likes

Nice job Mediaklan! Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

having trouble getting to this for some reason.
push play and it doesnā€™t.
might be my end though, will try later again.

1 Like

No John_E, this is on my end : server down - -ā€™ . Thanks to try and sorry for this.
It seems I have an issue with randoms gateway timeouts that needs solving. It should work ā€¦ for now ^^Ā“.

1 Like

Nice tone here @mediaklan
few minor blips and misses but fantastic for just ā€˜play and goā€™, well done.
Groove is there for sure throughout.

3 Likes

This was a ā€œplay and doneā€ video/recording for me as I donā€™t care for the song and hearing it repeatedly will drive me nuts :crazy_face: .

Quickly learned the song via a couple run-throughs and cobbled together a quick video/recording. Nothing too fancy. First recording with me standing up, for whatever reason, decided to include reaper screenshot in the background - not sure what I think of that :man_shrugging: . Anyways, here it is:

5 Likes

Nice @brik1970
Love both your bass and the idea to show the recording software along. Sounds good too.

2 Likes

Great job @brik1970 !

1 Like

This one gave me some troubles! First, I had the rhythm off, then I programmed the solo bits in my brain wrong. All these missteps led to about 50 takes to get to the one Iā€™m posting here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS7yCapTTPU

When I started I was giving the note on the 1 too much time so it was more like a long-short-short instead of short-long-short. Then I realized I was using the verse ending bits at the end of the solos which is not correct. Timing the notes at the end was kinda rough as well. This take isnā€™t spot on but it was close enough that I decided to leave it unedited.

Soā€¦with that out of the way, letā€™s talk specs!

I played this with my Fender Fretless Jazz Bass. Itā€™s strung with Labella Low Tension Flats. Neck volume: 8, Bridge volume: 6, Tone: 0

Ran the bass into the Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 head with an Ampeg SVT15E for the cab.

Darkglass settings: Compression 35%, Microtubes Engine ON, Tone 75%, Blend 35%

XLR Out to Volt 276 with Compression set to GTR and Vintage ON. Audio recorded with GarageBand. Video recorded with OBS. Finished in iMovie.

Thanks for checking it out! :dog:

6 Likes

yikesā€¦I hate having to relearn bits to get them right, you have to reprogram your fingers and sometimes they forget, and I will mistakenly play the wrong way randomly every now and then until the new way is properly set in,
but glad you got there I liked it

3 Likes