Song 7 - "House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals

You one very funny fella @Barney!
Great job!
Even though this one is a bit of a torture test, I still say @JoshFossgreen is brilliant for the songs he picked for this collection. Each one teaches/reinforces something a bit different. For this one, I think it is reading rhythms. The 4 vs 3 quarter notes next to each other in the song make you stay on your toes and think about changing rhythms back and forth.
So, I think it is in fact a valuable carrot to eat.
I just wish it was a 2:00 carrot vs. a 4:00 one.

5 Likes

Hi @BigAl , the bass in the cover, is that a Maruszczyk?

No, that’s bass was made by luither Cliff Bordwell from Cb basses. He makes hand made custom basses. AT Reasonable prices for hand crafted bass.

It’s called a S bass it’s 30" short scale. My next 30"short custom is probably going to be done by liither Steve Mcdonald an AC 30.

2 Likes

Turns out this is MY equivelant too.
Man I really dislike this song.
I am finally taking my medicine tonight and learning it, hope to record it this weekend and get the whole ordeal behind me.

This tune is a lot more difficult than the others, at least for me.
And with only 3 submisions so far, I guess others feel that way too.
At least I was able to bang out the next one in one sitting, so have some breathing room.

4 Likes

I’m working on this song, but I actually like it. Seem to be the minority. :slightly_smiling_face:

I remember growing up with my dad playing music like this on the stereo so am quite familiar with the song. It’s got some tricky parts though.

1 Like

You have to love Eric Burden, Please Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood one of my favs both his version and the Santa Esmeralda version!

1 Like

Spill my wine , with war. Eric Burden.:+1::+1:

4 Likes

Done!
Ahead of my weekend plan, phew.
Once under fingers, this wasn’t so bad after all, just still not a fan.
Few blunders here and there but its in the can, time to move on.
And no I didn’t stand, I could barely sit through it :rofl:

With #8 already done I can happily move to #9, and if I do my gosintas correctly, is My Girl, and Motown is definately more up my alley.

Haven’t used this bass in a cover yet…
ESP LTD RB-1004 (Rocco Prestia designed) Active Aguilar P/J pickups 50/50, bass and trebble boosted a bit.

https://youtu.be/uUidMsW3ad8

11 Likes

Nice one as usual John. BTW, your body says you ARE a fan. :wink:

1 Like

I watched until the end hoping for a reaction to camera and wasn’t disappointed :grinning: Nice job on the homework.

3 Likes

Sounds great! @John_E

1 Like

Here’s mine. I really struggled with this song for some reason. I probably did 20 recordings of it and couldn’t get a 90% OK version. This one isn’t too bad though and it’s time to move on.

BTW, I know there was some buzzing on the A string. I just changed strings and that clearly needs some adjustment.

And yes, I had to read the music most of the time I was playing. :slight_smile:

And I probably should have tidied up first. :upside_down_face:

https://youtu.be/vzI6ABLPdtQ

13 Likes

@JT I had all the same issues with this one.
I think because I really don’t like the song, could not committ the remaining precious braincells to the task. I had to use sheetmusic, did it sitting vs. standing, wasn’t perfect, took me the most takes ever.

I think you did a really good job! Great deep nice tone too!

4 Likes

Nice relaxed playing John @John_E ,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Well done @JT ,
Yes there was a lot of fret buzz, but like you say it’s time to move on👍, it’s just practice, practice and more practice,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

I actually always liked this song, the over the top theatrics amuse me… but playing it isn’t fun, it’s kind of weird, and after the organ solo kicks in I feel rush, I don’t hear the bass in the OG… anyways listened to it enough to not like it anymore
In the spirit of keeping the challenge Here’s my effort :man_shrugging:t4:

10 Likes

Hey @Reo nice job man!
Some timing bits on the tricky parts as you know, but those are tricky parts indeed.
I thought this song was quite a challenge.
Well done

3 Likes

Good job @Reo ! Sounds really nice and thumpy through that amp. It is a harder song than people think. The fast parts are tricky!

2 Likes

Nice job @Reo ,
nice tone from the ray, couple minor timing things but all in all good job,
keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

To everyone who has performed House of the Rising Sun, I commend you for your effort. there are no bad performances. The only way to do a bad performance is to not do it at all.
Sorry I don’t comment on each one individually, but just know you have my full support for your efforts.

5 Likes