Artist: The Temptations
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__LcGx8JQT8

Spotify link

For a backing track with bass removed, join the Discord or contact @gcancella

Tips:

Member Audio/Video Submission Shortcuts:

2 Likes

Motown, R&B song written and produced by Smokey Robinson and Ronald White. Here’s my take on My Girl. My F and G where low on recording just noticed it.

14 Likes

Good job. What did you think of playing the song? What do you mean by the F and G?

2 Likes

It seem to my ears that the F And G on the E string rang out to Low,when I play it back on video. I actually love this song. Had a blast playing it.:+1:

2 Likes

I noticed some distortion on the low notes, like the gain was too high or it was a phone mic, but they didn’t sound out of place to me. I don’t have the perfect ear though.

2 Likes

Well played. The sound is great and huuuge, but at 1:45 can be heard that something was clipping. Other than that, solid.

2 Likes

Yeah, that what i was talking about.:+1::+1:

3 Likes

I usually record with my bass high so I can hear it. Will need to turn it down next time. I use hearing aid too I didn’t have them on my bad.

3 Likes

It’s still awesome cover for the absolute majority of the song, so good job!

3 Likes

Just want to mention that there are 2 backing tracks available for this song. Since the bass is the intro, the normal “bassless” version may be hard to sync the start, so @John_E (IIRC) added a count-in. Both versions are available - use whichever one you’re comfortable with…

2 Likes

BTW, This happens to be one that Harry covers so I’m personally learning it by playing along with him. Not sure if it is the same version though.

Note: For any avoidance of doubt, this is NOT me playing this. :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUy3Lj94A50

1 Like

I have the “official” music for this. Many of the notes are ghost notes. Josh leaves them out, Harry plays them as full notes.

I still have trouble with ghost notes but if I can sort it I’ll try it. I’ll try to share the official later

2 Likes

What do you mean by a “ghost note”? Like a muted note?

2 Likes

Yes.
Here is a video that can help.
A ghost note can be plucked, slapped, popped, multiple fingers being forced onto the string over the pick up, with a slight delay before plucking the next note, and or with the fretting hand even (probably other ways, like a pick, where you pick the dead string before, after or in between notes), and they can be very tricky to play.

Sometimes, you may be playing only ghost notes, with no fretted notes at all.

On tabs, they are usually written as an “x” on the string to play it on, before, after, or between two fret numbers.
I.e.:
x 7 9 or x x 7
7 9 x or 9 x x
7 x 9 or 7 x x 9

They can also be on a different string then the fretted note(s).

(Josh shows how to do this on a slap bass line in his tutorial on his personal YouTube channel for RATM “Take the Power Back”, if interested you can find it pretty easily)

One from SBL. There is a part two, possibly more you will see when watching this one.

3 Likes

@T_dub yeah I am working Mark’s drills, my issue is the ghost notes down on frets 1-3, especially on my CS P with the super heavy La Bellas. Getting the muting just right is quite difficult down there and the bigger strings don’t help, they tend to ring anyway. And since on this song, most of the ‘correct muting’ is on fret 1 of of the E and 3 of the A strings, it’s a challenge. Muting up higher on the strings seems easier as you can stop the string voicing a lot easier.

Rocco Prestia of Tower of Power was the king of ghost notes. I have a songbook of their songs (mostly impossible to play at this point, but a goal none the less) and there are ghost notes everywhere.

This is one of those ‘hey live instructor, help me with this’ things on my list (see my other post/rant about live instruction).strong text

2 Likes

Do you use multiple fingers across the strings when you play the ghost notes?

Playing with a single finger, especially near frets, makes it more likely to play the harmonic instead of a deadened ghost note, this is why many players, if not most will use all 4 fingers (or more then one finger) for ghost notes of many types.

I am taking your description of “ String Voicing” to mean “Harmonic”, is the reason I bring this up.

1 Like

String voicing as in just plain old note coming out. But I’ll try multi fingers and see. Thanks @T_dub

2 Likes

Here’s a snippet of the “proper” ghost notes

3 Likes

Well it’s been a little over 7 months since I first picked up the Bass and started the B2B course. Both decisions were (if I may be so immodest) excellent ones. Thanks again to @JT for organizing this challenge.

By far the biggest improvement in my playing has been forcing myself to learn a new song every 2 weeks. Hands down the best, for my style of learning. For anyone who’s one the fence about this; give it a go. You might even like it!

Cheers Amigos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG8IDUdsR7g

14 Likes

Nicely played, @Barney . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes