Song 9 - "My Girl" by The Temptations

Nicely done @BigAl, @Barney, and @John_E !

3 Likes

Finally My girl, it’s been busy but I like the song and find the bass part fun to play too
I used the “Motown” effect on my recently acquired Zoom B1x four… I tried to keep my bass volume lower than usual but the flimsy speakers playing the track are the problem :man_shrugging:t4:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7LRjoB7Gd5I&feature=youtu.be

7 Likes

@Reo
Really good job man.
The one thing you missed are the eigth notes in the first verse, you ‘borrowed’ the rest and played them as quarters.
Past that your timing and tempo were impeccable and you nailed everything else.
Minor blips just at the end.

All the rest was perfect perfect perfect.
Great job!

Thanks John, you know I didn’t realize that I had done that on the first verse… I just went back and played it as eighths and it does not feel right to me, I feel the fourths are more “melancholic” , the eights are a bit robotic… I didn’t make that decision consciously before I guess I just migrated there spontaneously… I was doing other stuff as I practice, throwing some percussion sounds like ghost notes, but couldn’t pull it off consistently… I had fun with this one

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1xj8Dm7BH4

Obvs not my cover, but a little inspiration for those looking at an alternative version.

This was my favorite song to learn from the challenge so far. The different variations, syncopation, and key change really kept things interesting. I feel it is one of those rare perfect songs that will outlive all of us, simply beautiful. It sounded like the original recording was a little sharp so I tweaked the pitch of the backing track in Reaper to try to match my bass in 440 but I can tell its still a little off. Anyway, this was lots of fun, thanks for listening
https://youtu.be/jpUAagbsKLk

4 Likes

Great job @dlamson13 !
Timing spot on.
Most Motown stuff I shove some foam under the strings to get that dead tone they used, but I really liked your tone here too, it worked.
All around goodness.
Yeah, Motown is just damn fun to play.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @John_E! And also for the tone tip. I always really like the tones you get on your Motown covers so I’ll have to experiment with that. Down the road I’d to pick up a P-Bass for stuff like this, maybe as reward if I ever finish all 50 songs :slight_smile:

1 Like

My preferred foam (I did a lot of experimenting is a 4" foam paint brush. Trim off the beveled end and cut about a 1" wid piece. I also like the 3/4" wid by 7/16"" thick black weatherstripping (you have to de-goo the adhesive just by playing with it in your hands a while).
Just depends how either fits under the strings.

Don’t forget to retune after you put it in, it will make you sharp.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-3-4-in-x-7-16-in-x-10-ft-Black-High-Density-Rubber-Foam-Weatherstrip-Tape-R734H/100047977

1 Like

Very nice. Do I spot a Super Champ X2 in the background? I had one, fantastic amp but it was sold to make way for Bass related stuff.

1 Like

Nice, thanks, that’s in my $ range :slight_smile:

Good eye Barney! Yes it is, love that amp for my guitars, especially through the clean channel with a little overdrive in front of it. It’s stacked on top of the Orange bass combo I’m actually using in the video.

1 Like

So I’m feeling a little bit crazy here but has anyone noticed that it feels like there’s an ever so slight tempo rush between the last two bars of the bridge? I understand. I’m probably just losing the ability to count to four, but I mastered the song up to there, and I just lose the bed at that exact same spot every single time!

It’s quite possible.
When you start really listening to a lot of these old tunes, you find a whole host of engineering / playing / mixing issues. Proves once again that if its a great song, the technical doesn’t matter as much.

1 Like

3 Likes

I loved learning this song. I just got it memorized and posted the video so I can move on but I’m gonna keep this as part of my practice routine so I don’t forget how to play this song.

1 Like

Nice job keeping the beat @doylecb!

The beat and groove/feel on the intro/reintro are correct, however, on the choruses and verses you are playing everything as eigth notes verses quarter note then eigth notes (see below). This fundementally changes the groove and ‘feel’ of the tune.
Try it both ways and see if you hear, and feel, the difference.
And have a listen to the original as well.
This is an important part of your bass journey.
It will serve you well to get used to this type of detail as you progress

Otherwise, very well played.
Keep 'em coming!
And still love that bass

2 Likes

Hey @doylecb good lad for getting after this challenge. Here’s an example of what John was talking about. If you listen to the play along it’ll help you tie the musical notation to the sound of an eighth vs a quarter note. I regularly use play along videos to help me learn new songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY-oWLwb0Zs

2 Likes

Good call Barney and John. I absolutely see what you mean. In my mind it’s more that I was rushing to the rest which led me to play the note too short. Either way same result. I definitely hear how it sounds like eight minutes.

1 Like

Phew! I’ve given this one more attempts than I would like to count in the past week or so. I’m calling it done for now. I might come back and re-visit this one in the future. Lots of timing struggles and one particular measure kept getting me…

Played with the Flea Jazz Bass with foam mute. All tone rolled off and each pickup at about 80%. I ran this into the Darkglass Microtubes 500v2. XLR out to a Volt 276 and then into Garageband. Video recorded with OBS. I then brought it all together in
iMovie. Original Bass removed by Moises.ai.

Thanks for checking it out!

4 Likes