Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive over the last five decades

This genre discussion has reminded me that everynoise.com exists. Check it out!

Every Noise at Once is an ongoing attempt at an algorithmically-generated, readability-adjusted scatter-plot of the musical genre-space, based on data tracked and analyzed for 6,291 genre-shaped distinctions by Spotify as of 2023-11-19. The calibration is fuzzy, but in general down is more organic, up is more mechanical and electric; left is denser and more atmospheric, right is spikier and bouncier.

Click anything to hear an example of what it sounds like.

Click the » on a genre to see a map of its artists.

4 Likes

Thank you, I absolutely love this site now :rofl:

3 Likes

Japanese vtuber is a genre :rofl:

2 Likes

NGL, not my first choice per artist for a lot of these, but this is a solid path to follow:

https://everynoise.com/canonicalpath.cgi?uri=Skinny+Puppy

I would say I regularly listened to like 50% of that list and knew of or had heard many of the others. I have posted many of them in the music threads here :rofl:

3 Likes

Throbbing Gristle was releasing records back in the '77.

2 Likes

For sure! Though I have always thought of them as just straight up Industrial. And later, PTV as straight acid house/techno.

When I think electroindustrial, really I think of it kicking off with stuff like Cabaret Voltaire (CODE specifically) and Skinny Puppy (with Remission), and roughly the same time with the several Belgium bands (Front 242, Luc Van Acker, etc).

Rather than just Industrial, I think of them as the predecessor to most electronic music that came after, which includes Industrial and techno. They were the ones that really started putting samples and noise to dance beats, although it was disco but we can forgive that because of the times.

1 Like

That’s fair too. There were also others (everyone will say EN of course) but they were definitely pioneers.

I also love what Chris and Cosey went on to. Sleazy and Genesis not as much.

(I liked PTV and Coil, but I wasn’t so in to them. I did see some combo of them live.)

A friend of mine audtioned for them, don’t know which instrument though. It’s still one of his favourite stories, that changes every time he tells it :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only thing remotely that cool that I’ve ever done was interviewing at Blizzard HQ in Irivine CA as a server admin for World of Warcraft right before The Burning Crusade came out.

4 Likes

That is kind of up there just because Illidan :rofl:

(See also, Legion)

Blizz would have been a good gig.

1 Like

IMO it’s really important to recognize innovation even within the existing broad genres. Post-hardcore in general remains super interesting to me as a genre:

just like it has for a long long time, going all the way back to Zen Arcade. Continuous innovation and evolution.

I also keep coming back to The Armed as being really innovative sound and visuals wise. Ultrapop is just a must-buy album.

They really lean in to the “we’re an art collective” thing.

Even in erstwhile pop you have people like Poppy coming in and really evolving way beyond the norms and bending genres. She’s likely one of the most actual punk things happening today.

2 Likes

Is she? She toured with avenged sevenfold and was nominated for a metal Grammy.

1 Like

Yeah she is all over the place and changes dramatically album to album

she does keep coming back to really hard styles though

2 Likes

I asked myself yesterday “How many emotions are there in a song?” When I was younger, I thought lyrics aren’t the key, just the emotions. Why bother critiquing simple lyrics when maybe the emotion and feeling are just fine.

My current emotion is “dread, anxiety and guilt” because I destroyed the $150 brake lever unit on my road bike by stripping the plastic threads of the brake reservoir. All I wanted was to “quickly” fix the sh**ty brake system that Shimano built by adding a bit of fluid.

So, musically, I am missing what I wished for. Clayhill said it best:

Cheers,
Antonio

I feel you - have destroyed many things on my bike, including expensive brakes, when modding stuff. But this is how I learned about bikes and now I can fix most bikes of my friends too.

I have an SRAM group on my gravel bike, and now I love Shimano even more :slight_smile:

Take it as a learning experience and look forward to getting new brakes! I am never depressed by failure, always see the opportunity to improve!

EDIT incidentally I am learning the same song on bass now, but from Muse

1 Like

This song gets covered a lot. At the time I would not have expected it to be the one that got picked up for covers :rofl:

1 Like