Songs for a 5 string

Just dragged out my 5 string Yamaha after a years rest. I almost forgot how much I love that “Low B” string. I have been playing Joe Bonamassa’s Ballad of John Henry. It has a killer riff with that low B.

Can anyone recommend songs using that low B string?
Thx

2 Likes

There are so many that adapt to the 5 string, and specifically utilize the B string. Look for songs written in Eb, that would be a good start. Crossfire by Stevie Ray Vaughan comes to mind.

4 Likes

Any song can use the B string if you try :slight_smile:

Songs that require it - lots of metal

2 Likes

@howard is correct. If you have a 5 string, you have a little more real estate to work with and can play just about anything on it. As an example, on my cover of Lyin’ Eyes I banged away on the B string extensively with my Yammie BB735. Randy Meisner played a 4 string exclusively, but I just made my own version of the bassline using many of those notes on the B string, all the way up to the A in the 11th fret. Look and listen here; if you watch you can see me on that B string a lot.
The point is, you are not limited to certain songs or genres because you play a fiver.

EVENFLOW by Pearl Jam uses the low D (3rd fret b-string (5th)

1 Like

B-B-B-B-B Bad to the Bone - George Thorogood and the Destroyers?

Sorry, I’ll get my coat.

3 Likes

Hail to the King by Avenge Sevenfold in C flat is a good one for the fiver as is Thnks fr the Mmrs by Fall Out Boy and Jesus or a Gun by Fuel in drop D.
Theres so many if you start digging

1 Like

As I had many ribs broken in an accident a few years ago, more than once I used my 5 string as a very short scale 4 string. It comes in handy after extended playing if the pain from playing the first few frets forces me to do so.

2 Likes

There’s a few Van Halen that use it too

1 Like

And…

https://youtu.be/g0pA5b4s7WM

5 Likes

There you have it, a perfect example…

that is the first one I learned on my 5-string

Here’s a short one but fun.

1 Like

Oh you got your 5 string bass? That Yamaha looks really nice and a good tune too! Nice vid!

1 Like

Haha no, that is old, and the bass I sold.
My new 5er comes in Jan-Feb (which means April) :sob:

3 Likes

Nice bass! Lots of controls too

Thanks!

Master Volume w/ push-pull active passive
3 band EQ
Pickup blend
3-way toggle for bridge pickup (front/back/both)

4 Likes

Oh I love that color. Gotta sound really great.