Songs you wish you could play?

I found playing some of the Blues classic to be a bit easier to learn and memorize…because they are 90% are 12 bars, have the same chord progressions and can be played with R,3rd,5th, and 6th (flat7th) add in a fancy turnaround & be proud! I particularly like 12/8 time that generally are around 70-80 bpm.

2 Likes

This is a great thread idea!

My too bass goals one day are both Victor Wooten songs, “You Can’t Hold No Groove” and “The Lesson.”

Primus-wise, “American Life” was the first song I learned on bass, but I’m constantly working on improving at it. I also learned “Those Damned Blue Collar Tweekers” and “Too Many Puppies.” I’d like to learn “Southbound Pachyderm” and “To Defy the Laws of Tradition.” Harder goals will eventually be to learn “Golden Boy,” “John the Fisherman” and eventually “Tommy the Cat.”

I’d also like to master some Ryan Martinie eventually, especially “Death Blooms,” “Dig” and “Severed” by Mudvayne.

Finally, I’m still working on memorizing the entirety of Tool’s “Schism.” I’d then like to learn “The Pot,” “The Patient,” and a few others.

I have many more goals too, but these are some of my top ones. Eventually, learning some Jaco and more Led Zeppelin would be worthwhile too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely dig the bass line on that song.

3 Likes

I came up with a plan. Since the world has given us so many resources to learn songs as well as recordings of great concerts, I’m going to pick a concert to learn to the best of my ability. Gives me lots to digest. Predictable timing and transitions. More real life feel than playing against a studio album. If I get too overwhelmed I can also work on some of the guitar bits. Now… to the internet for some research.
What would be your concert to play?

1 Like

I’m still early on my bass journey — made it through half the course so far. And enjoying playing the full songs of what was already covered and some BB King as well on my own! But can’t wait until I someday manage to play some of my fav songs.

I accidentally realized that it’s possible to pick up official scores for local rock music (Japan) and that completely blew my mind. Just picked up an official band score for a band I love and I hope to come back to this post in a few years nodding that I finally managed to huh :joy:

If I were to pick a next goal to strive for, it might as well be Requiem by the Back Horn. But I got plenty others on the wishlist… (Roundabout is definitely on there too)

Sharing it more for the realization that it’s actually possible to get scores for rock music I care about — I had no idea that was a possibility! (Since online tabs are… pretty hit or miss for these).

Note: pictured are the first few bars which are pretty trivial, it gets more intense later :wink:

1 Like

Nice! Where did you find that? I have never really looked for music in print here (also Japan).

And welcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cheers Howard!
A jazz musician I like (Jazztronik) published a score for their Tiger Eyes so I got that and figured, I wonder if other bands do the same thing and just randomly searched バンドスコア on Amazon and there ya go, plenty full band scores! The publisher for the Back Horn one is https://www.doremi.co.jp/ and they have more things. Also found Luna Sea and The Pillows (!) which should be fun to pick up someday.

3 Likes

Oh that’s awesome!

I’d love to see a score for something like Unlucky Morpheus. Mostly for the violin parts though, too fast to figure out easily :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe I’m not the only one here that would really enjoy playing this funky one :
Vulfpeck - Dean Town :

Not inaccessible but still out of my reach for now. Working on it ^^

3 Likes

Adam Yauch effortlessly strumming bass on live versions of Sabotage…

3 Likes

RIP, MCA.

5 Likes

For the STP song, I just broke the beginning riff into 2 parts, put them into Ableton and played them at ever increasing speed. Still not quite up to full speed yet, but close.

1 Like

Cake goes on my want to learn list!

2 Likes

Yes: Roundabout
RHCP: Dark Necessities
Jaco: Come on Come over
Cheap Trick: Mighty Wings and Van Halen: Dreams. Both at live performance tempo.

2 Likes

This seems to be the most approachable for many mortals that and the Chicken, :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve been working on Highway Star by Deep Purple. I always run out of steam with the fast, repetitive downstroke picking. About halfway through I have to switch to an up-down pattern which doesn’t sound quite as good.

Count me in as well for Roundabout. I’ve seen that riff written out in a couple of ways, with a subtle difference in timing in the last 4 or 5 notes that changes the difficulty a little - the placement of those muted notes especially.

1 Like

Sometimes I listen to a song and think either “Wow! This is so amazing, everyone needs to hear it!” or I feel like it just HAS to be played on a grand scale, (like some movies HAVE to be seen on a big screen) because the song deserves to fill up all that space.

2 Likes

Does a household list count?

My newest young player, the newly minted 12 year old, was watching @JoshFossgreen ‘s video on famous bass lines just yesterday. He chose Feel Good Inc and Roundabout as his goals.

My 14 year old is long term working on Dean Town and Run to the Hills.

I think I’m going to tackle MxPx Chick Magnet next but the “If I could play anything above my level right this second” song is probably What is Hip, Tower of Power.

2 Likes

I’m also still pretty early on in my journey and I ended up watching the anime Bocchi the Rock. This is the cover to one of the songs played in episode 10 that I really enjoyed!

SICK HACK - Watashi Dake Yuurei

2 Likes

Always nice to see a SBV in action :slight_smile:

That one looks like a SBV-800MF with replacement pickups.

1 Like