Songs you wish you could play?

Hey guys, sorry if this thread has already been made, but I was curious what songs make your bass “bucket list”. There’s a handful of songs that I desperately want to learn but I am not quite skilled enough yet to play. These are songs I come back to from time to time just to see if they’re any easier (they aren’t). It keeps me motivated to learn when I run into something that makes me feel like a total beginner again. I’ll share a few of mine - all of these I have tried and failed and tried and failed and….etc.

First on the list, and maybe one that will take me many years to learn

Primus - John The Fisherman

https://youtu.be/lkFMJ4-ai1I

This is my favorite Primus song. I can’t for the life of me find the technique on the strumming bits of this one.

Stone Temple Pilots - Trippin’ On A Hole In A Paper Heart

https://youtu.be/HVPzWkdhwrw

This bass line is very fast and just relentless the whole way through. Robert DeLeo is an amazing bassist and I don’t hear him talked about much. Playing this line tires out my hands almost immediately. The rests here are like a 32nd note, can’t figure out how to play this at all.

XTC - Rocket From A Bottle

https://youtu.be/mDtVWyxCMAU

Another relentless bass line here from Colin Moulding. I have covered a couple XTC songs and neither of them were half as hard to play as this one. My fretting hand gives up after about 45 seconds. For a five note riff, this one sure is a pain in the forearm to play

6 Likes

Definitely top of the list is Donna Lee.

It’s beyond my comprehension atm. I read the sheet music and took a few jabs at it but I just don’t get it. Hopefully when I grow up I’ll appreciate it and learn to play it properly., but for now I’ll settle this version of a TV jingle, lol.

https://youtu.be/wBvGBdHBV7s

3 Likes

Mine would be Wedding Singer by Modern Baseball. Been playing for a year, but have only recently been playing with a pick. Punk is just difficult for me to get a handle on.

4 Likes

Welcome @06.driller_trifle !!!

Dean town. Maxwell Murders. Every Offspring song. That’s actually the most attainable and currently being worked on.

4 Likes

Yeah, why not :joy:

My life long exercise is this one:

I can actually play pretty much what he plays at 12:06 to 12:30 and in pretty much that tempo… But, that is also as far as I have gotten :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Wish I could play this

https://youtu.be/qq-YjWBIgY0

Having a cape would help

6 Likes

I’ll echo this one. I used to run a Radio Shack store and I would have Primus’ Cheesy Home Video playing on the TVs on loop. I always worried when it would come to Claypool’s “John the Fisherman” introduction… “I don’t wanna introduce John the Fisherman. Eff that goddamned thing.” :smiley:

But yeah, I loved to watch him play that song in that video, and longed to play it myself knowing I never would. Custom Carl Thompson 4-string with a Kahler tremolo. Gads I want one of those. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ll bet you could if you really wanted to.

Time, practice, practice and more practice, and patience is all it takes. IMHO

One thing not mentioned enough on the forum is how long it takes to get a song down, assuming you want to play without a lead sheet.
If you ever get a chance ask someone in a working band. The answer may surprise you. :+1:

2 Likes

That should be an easy fix :grin:

Good luck with HotS - great tune; awesome bass line(s)

I think if I were to tackle a Yes tune, it would be “Tempus Fugit” first:

4 Likes

Me too :grimacing::grimacing:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

And this to Joerg. @joergkutter ,
Sorry to hear of your loss,
Best wishes
Brian

3 Likes

Thank you very much, Brian :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I might get some hate for this but I don’t really like Jaco :eyes:

Don’t get me wrong, he was an amazing bass player but a lot of his music just doesn’t resonate with me. The song you posted, for example, is something I would never desire to play. To each their own I suppose!

@Reasonably_Happy i was such a huge offspring fan when I was in middle school! They do have some great bass lines and if I was you I would start with Pretty Fly for a White Guy. I ran through a few of their tunes last night and that one seems the easiest to learn (of their hits anyway).

@Wombat-metal Chris Squire was such a beast. So many legendary licks from Yes. Cape absolutely required.

@JustTim ahhh RadioShack. Unfortunately I was just a baby in the early 90’s so I never got to appreciate Les in his heyday. Wasn’t until the last few years that I really got into Primus and I am so glad I did. What a freak bassist. No one else like him.

1 Like

Since the almost 1 year I’ve been playing I said, "I’ll never be able to play Cake - I Will Survive!
EDIT found a better resolution video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojqeOVS_lZk

Well I have to say I can ALMOST play it, slowly and sloppily! but it fees so good to see my fingers doing the motions and hope some day I can play it through.

That and Billy Jean.

4 Likes

God I love Cake so much. Such a fun and unique band. I haven’t tried to learn this one yet, I started with It’s Coming Down and Arco Arena (Instrumental) as those were much more playable for my skill level. I’ve almost finished Love You Madly and after that’s done I’m going to try Short Skirt/Long Jacket.

3 Likes

I’m not terribly familiar with them but I do love SSLJ for sure, great bass in that. Also in the 50 song challenge, Pretty Pink Ribbons.

1 Like

Pretty Pink Ribbon was super tough for me in the lesson and tbh it’s one of my least favorite cake songs. I’ll learn it eventually but there’s so many excellent bass riffs to learn first.

2 Likes

Dean Town and Roundabout.

The connection between my grey meat and my booger hooks just doesn’t seem to work when I try to learn those. I won’t give up, though.

2 Likes

Roundabout would be amazing to be able to play. That’s another dream song for me

4 Likes

I figure there’s some stuff I may never play and I’m ok with that. Roundabout, YYZ, Tommy the Cat….doesn’t meant we can’t keep trying!

5 Likes