Spare Bass

So, while I am waiting for my “main” instrument (still a few weeks away, courtesy of a crippled global logistic chain) I decided to buy a spare one, not to waste time for practice, and I am thinking of getting an entry level Yamaha, either BB or TRBX.

Do you have any recommendations for a good quality model?

Would you rather go for a different brand/model?

Thank you for your help!

3 Likes

Paging @howard

2 Likes

Thanks Mac!

2 Likes

Any BB or TRBX will be great. Even the lowest end models are fine instruments. I just bought a BB734A tonight :slight_smile:

Just don’t be surprised when you decide you like them better than your “main” instrument :slight_smile:

If you can afford it I would recommend a TRBX504 or BB434. The BB234 is great too., as are the TRBX174, 204 and 304.

Literally cannot go wrong.

1 Like

Thank you Howard!

1 Like

I got a Fender Player Plus Jazz bass. So, I think I am going for the TRBX 304, although I don’t like that 5 notch selector Yamaha put on it. I think I will leave it to flat.

1 Like

I like how you think already. Ordering another bass while waiting for one to arrive. You and I would be besties. Not many people knows, I do like a couple of spare basses, lol.

8 Likes

…and another 50-60 more to keep those two company. :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

Yes, this is a well-kept secret :roll_eyes: :rofl:

4 Likes

I think of you more as a curator than anything else.

4 Likes

See? future bass museum!

2 Likes

My first bass was a TRBX 174. I used it for a year before buying my Fender MIM Jazz. The Fender thumps but man… the buzz is annoying. You won’t have that issue with the TRBX models. I’m getting ready to buy a Satin Black TRBX 504 for my back up. It may perform better than the the Fender for some genre’s of music. IMHO you can’t go wrong with a Yamaha after a good set up.

3 Likes

Warning: You’ll probably never play the Jazz again :slight_smile:

The 504 is a great bass for the price.

2 Likes

This is what I’m hearing about the 504.
I tested out a 505 that wad in a local shop. Similar feel to my old 174 but better electronics. Looking forward to the arrival of my 504

2 Likes

If it is anything like my 604 was it’s going to be considerably higher quality than a MIM Jazz.

1 Like

I think you might be right about the 504. After playing it a few weeks I’m finding it more comfortable and fun to play than my Fender JB. Makes me wonder about the Fender hype…

3 Likes

Yeah, Yamaha really hits it out of the park with their midrange instruments. Well, all their instruments really :slight_smile:

You should try the BB’s next, fantastic basses.

1 Like

The BB434 looks like a straight passive P/J similar to the TRBX 174 with better electronics one would assume.
The BB734 looks like a P/J with active/passive setup like the 504. Is the sound different and worth increase in $$

2 Likes

Yep, just bought my second BB734A :slight_smile:

1 Like