Split-coil Positioning

I just noticed something. My Charvel P/J has its split-coil pickup positioned this way:

I see that on Ibanez and older Charvel P/Js as well. However, when I look at most other brands Ps and P/Js, they’re positioned like this:

What’s the difference? Is it just a tone thing, or is there some other reason for this?

2 Likes

First one is reversed P. Second is standard P. While there is a slight difference, where the pickup is positioned along the string makes more of a difference. I wouldn’t worry about it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah, I didn’t know it had a name. Learn summat new every day!

Yeah, not worried about it, though, so much as just curious. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

2 Likes

I like the use of the word “summat”. I think I am going to start using it. It covers a lot of language territory to those that know what it means.

2 Likes

To reference an often-used phrase by a certain Buzzer, I find that quasi-word mildly annoying.

2 Likes

The reverse p people like Leland Sklar seems to prefer as the output are more balanced from strings to strings. According to them the standard P outputs on the bass side usually stronger than the treble side. By reversing the pickup position seem to solve the issue.

I have both and like both but I don’t know if there’s any output difference.

3 Likes

The reverse p is very Spector. Like @Al1885 says, there’s a school of thought that the reverse P has more balanced output than the traditional P setup. the Wombat school of thought is you can handle that with setup, especially with those DiMarzio ModeL Ps on your Charvel, where you can take an Allan wrench and adjust the height of your poles. And thereby output.

I have both and it’s six of one, half dozen of the other. But some people swear by it.

1 Like

Exactly. It’s how you setup and play it. To hot lower the pickup, to quiet raise it up. Sometimes it’s just in your head. And you are right @Wombat-metal my reverse P is from my Spector Euro. It looks very cool though.

Speaking of Lealand Sklar his signature Warwick Star bass has a 3 way switch that connects to nothing, but merely serves as trigger to the producer that he makes switch to the pickup and just play from a different position.

1 Like

And some swear at it. My first bass was an Ibanez GSR with the reverse P, and it made for a very uncomfortable thumb rest.

So much so, that I still often don’t rest my thumb on my pickup and let it float or brace up against the bass.

4 Likes

Have to agree with that. And it made putting my vintage Fender Ps in my FGN complicated as they had a metal plate on the bottom which I had to take off and reverse. And put back on. Was swearing that day

3 Likes

I’d not say owt if you did, bruv.

1 Like