Spoke Wheel Mod

I have a 60’s Vintera Jazz Bass - I was reluctant to buy it, because like all of the re-issues, Fender decided not to change the truss adjustment. I really don’t want to take the neck off each time I need to make a truss adjustment. My MusicMan has a spoke wheel, which, in my opinion is the easiest of all to adjust.

I happened to find that StuMac sells spoke wheels:

After reading some of the reviews, I decided to give it a shot. I took the pick guard off notched the body underneath, took the old truss nut off, added a washer and screwed the new spoke wheel on. From there, I just gently filed the pick guard until it fit perfectly.

Super easy, no hitches, and maybe took me an hour total to do the work. Also, I don’t think it takes anything away from it, and I hardly notice it. Except for the notch underneath, it’s reversible by putting the old nut on and obtaining a new pick guard.

I had to share in case someone is in a similar boat, reluctant buying a bass with a truss that adjusts this way, or was afraid this was a difficult task

cheers,

-Brian

14 Likes

Really great idea and workmanship. Kudos.

3 Likes

Thank you @MikeC

2 Likes

That’s really cool! I didn’t know this was even possible. Great job!

3 Likes

I’ve been spending a lot of time on the cycling forums, this was not what i expected :joy:

5 Likes

Fantastic mod.

3 Likes

Looks like a bought one

2 Likes

Great work @bschaefer66 !

3 Likes

Great work! Thank you for posting this!

3 Likes

Thank you! After taking the neck off the first time, guessing the adjustment, putting it all back together and repeating until it was right, I thought “there’s got to be a better way”.

1 Like

Excellence in engineering (not Fender’s).

1 Like