Squier V.M. '70s Jazz Bass vs American Ultra Jazz Bass

+1

This is my current question. I am hoping the answer is 'at least next year, dummy, you should play the gear you have for a bit first!"

3 Likes

@John_E … I most definitely challenged myself with the same thinking (I was a beginner, barely even able to play, why buy more (especially more expensive than entry level) Basses?

Perhaps that is why I bought the MIM Mustang vs. the MIA Mustang I recently got (just because I wanted to try a short-scale). I do need to figure something out as the “GAS” is hell to live with. LOL

I guess I really should be happy that the Foderas or other super-high dollar basses haven’t really caught my eye.

In the end, when I finally pulled the trigger and decided to learn to play last year, I threw caution to the wind and said to myself, “Self, go for it, you only live once so do what makes you happy!”

4 Likes

COVID has increased GAS symptoms for me.
More time to surf the web and look.

I am happy with all my GAS purchases, but my internal watchdog is saying ‘time to enjoy them’.
That said, I just brought a bass home today, sigh.
Last one! …for now.

4 Likes

Yep, Me too; and surf these forums. LoL

Two things they say in my neighborhood, 1. Git er dun! & 2. He who dies with most toys wins!

2 Likes

This forum has cost me a lot of $$$ in GAS in a few short months, but, I am happy for it as it has helped me make some really good, informed choices.

3 Likes

I think it has for everyone. The used market here is really weird right now. Not a lot of people selling, and used items stay on the market much longer. So supply is lower and the ability of people to pay for items is impacted. It’s really weird.

I just sold my Pacifica (strat-style 6-string) and made a profit on it, but it took weeks.

2 Likes

@Jazzbass19

Thanks for taking the time to complete the overhaul with the details!

What I’d need to do now is get hold of one and play it in active mode. I know the difference between passive and active on a P bass and the Ultra P, but now I need to feel and hear how it does it on the J and ultra J.

What I was thinking the other day, because I exclusively use J basses now, is maybe consider trading my ultra P in for the Ultra J. It’s a costly exercise all round, but it’s in extremely good condition and it would go a long way to covering the ultra J’s cost.

However, that means I’d be losing the ultra P. Though I have a vintera P as well. But I don’t like losing basses!

Dammit, why is this so bloody hard!!!

3 Likes

Yes, absolutely should try one in person if possible, @quadfather . . . :slight_smile:

Without trying the Ultra P bass, I would hazard an educated guess that the differences between an Ultra Jazz and the Ultra Precision in active mode would be the same as those between a “regular” Jazz and a “regular” Precision . . . i.e. the Jazz would have a slightly wider, slightly more trebly tonal range than the Precision, and the Precision would be a little “warmer” than the Jazz.

Again, though, you should try them in person before buying (unless the vendor has a good return policy! :wink: )

And again, I bought my Ultra Jazz online without trying it because of previous experience with Jazz basses.

Thanks for your kind words and good luck to you, my friend!

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve been reading up loads on it and worked out in my head what the difference would be, but I should get one in person. But, saying that, I have been playing a vintera and a performer jazz exclusively now for about 6 months, so I’m ok with getting one without playing it tbh.

It’s just what I do about actually getting it - do I lose one of my other basses, or…

4 Likes

Understood . . . lots to think about. :neutral_face: . . . Don’t forget to consider the differences in the necks between the J and the P basses too, @quadfather

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

@Jazzbass19

Indeed, the necks are a very important factor. The Ultra P isn’t as wide as a standard P, but it’s wider than a J. And I definitely prefer the J size, which I’m taking as a standard bonus with the ultra.

And, how does this happen, I’ve just been looking at it online again, and there is 1 in stock in 1 shop right now…

argh

4 Likes

@Jazzbass19

Oh no, I’ve cracked! It’s ordered. Oh my, oh my, no, yes, no, argh, cobra blue…!

7 Likes

It better be good…

4 Likes

Well, congratulations @quadfather . . . :+1: . . . (all joking around aside)!

I’m really very happy with mine, and I’m sure you will be with yours, too. It really is a very pretty shade of blue and the white maple fretboard sets it off nicely.

Be sure to post up some pics when it arrives, and good luck with it!

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Congrats @quadfather !! You will love not only the bass, but the color. Thats the color on mine and she is gorgeous and more importantly, plays and feels great!!

5 Likes

@Jazzbass19 Yes, I’ll certainly get some photos of her and parade her around here :slight_smile:
It is an absolute beauty. I might even have a chance to have a go on it in if it arrives for friday in the band!

Actually, how was your setup out of the box out of interest?

4 Likes

@smurillo That sounds like music to my ears, thank you :smiley:

I’m really looking forward to this now I know what I want in a bass.

4 Likes

It was great . . . absolutely perfect in every way, @quadfather . . . intonation, action, pickup height, etc. were all spot on to my liking . . . It was even in tune! :slight_smile:

But remember, the condition it arrives in may depend on the vendor you purchase it from as well as the delivery service . . . in my case it was purchased from Sweetwater Sound and shipped double-boxed straight to my door via United Parcel Service.

Sweetwater checks all their guitars (over $350 price) with their “55-point inspection” service to ensure everything is set to factory specs.

When you get yours, I’ll wager it will arrive in the same condition.

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

The force is strong in this quadfather, basses must be bought.
Congrats on a most likely excellent purchase. I mean, one left, it had to be done.

4 Likes

@T_dub

The cycle is now complete :slight_smile:

3 Likes