Squier V.M. '70s Jazz Bass vs American Ultra Jazz Bass

Blimey, that’s really good. The Ultra P needed a small amount of intonation and that was it. So here’s hoping!!

Then again, the pubs open where I am next Monday, and a guy I know that goes there helps me setup guitars, so I’ll check it out when it arrives and give the guy a heads up if it needs anything.

Excited now!

4 Likes

@Jazzbass19

Forgot a quick question - the neck width on the ultra - how does it feel compared to the squire? I’m not going to put any more details on this question, because I know what the squire feels like, so it would be good to hear what you think from the ultra?

4 Likes

The neck width doesn’t feel noticeably different between the two basses, @quadfather

After playing the Ultra for 10 days or so, then switching back to the Squier, I did notice some very subtle differences between them: the satin vs glossy neck, the slightly improved upper fret access, and, most particularly, the “modern D” neck profile vs the “C”.

So I would say that the neck on the Ultra feels slightly “flatter” but not wider.

Again, these are very subtle differences, but the Ultra does feel better than the Squier.

I hope this answers your question . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

@Jazzbass19

Perfect, thank you!! Even more excited now!!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh, it’s here! I’m too excited to even open it!

6 Likes

Sweet mother of god

11 Likes

Congratulations, @quadfather . . . :slight_smile:

Sure is beautiful . . . wish you good luck and lots of happy playing!

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

it’s absolutely lovely.

However, action is too high, dammit! Will need to sort that before properly playing

4 Likes

Really? . . . Mine was about as perfect as you could get right out of the box. :thinking:

Then again, action is a very personal thing and may not be the same as factory spec. I’d give it a day or two to acclimate to your temp and humidity before making any changes, though.

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Saying that, I’ve just put my performer jazz next to it and it looks identical! Maybe I’m just being psychosomatic about it as one bass I had years ago came with a high action. And the height on the 1st fret is absolutely perfect. I was possibly focusing too much on the 12th fret

Let’s have a play and find out!

4 Likes

Don’t forget the neck is slightly different because of the compound radius, too.

Enjoy! . . . :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My oh my that is a thing of beauty!
Congratulations @quadfather

4 Likes

@Jazzbass19 Yes, you’re right about the radius - I can feel the difference.

Christ almighty, it sounds absolutely amazing - and that’s just in my hands without even turning it on yet!

Action is fine, I’m just a buffoon - it’s perfect!

omg I think I’m in love

The bindings on the side are really nice too

6 Likes

@Mac

Thanks - I can’t put it down!

Forgot how bright new strings are aswell!

I’m definitely going to use it tonight at the band practice to see if I can break it in

5 Likes

Wait til you put it in active mode . . . :wink:

Cheers and have fun!

4 Likes

Oh my. OH MY!

It’s exactly what I was hoping for in active mode!!! It’s perfect - it enhances the richness of the jazz perfectly! The ultra P accentuates it in a P way, and I was a bit concerned this one would be over the top, but it’s not - it’s just brilliant how it articulates the richness!

I’ve just realised that I’ve been playing it for 20 minutes and I haven’t even tuned it. It’s bang on!

Amazing. I need a lie down.

6 Likes

Remember after a bass ships the neck needs time to acclimate. Depending on temps and humidity differences it’s seen on its trip and where it was.

I dial in when I get a new Bass shipped but then know there’s going to be some tweaking in (or just leave and deal) for a week or so.

4 Likes

@John_E

Yes, I’m going to just leave it for a while to let it get settled. I’ll use it tonight at the band practice to give it a warm up. I’ve got a friend coming over next week who does setups, so it’ll probably be about right to tinker with then.

In the meantime, boy oh boy, I just can’t put it down!

8 Likes

Your enthusiasm is infectious. :grinning:

tenor (1)

6 Likes

@HowlinDawg

Haha! You just have to make the whole “new bass arrived” into a complete day of celebration and ritual, I find :slight_smile:

I’m supposed to be working right now, but I’m either playing it, or doing a bit of work whilst looking at it!

Just need to work out a strap. I have this blue and white one - and I have another black with white mexican skulls on it coming today. Need to work out which suits it better!

Blue one -

6 Likes