Standing Position

So I’ve been practicing sitting down and decided to stand up today and rock out with the lesson, but I can’t see the frets when I’m standing. Is there a special way to position the base/strap so I can see what I’m doing? TIA!

3 Likes

Do you have inlays (little dots) along the side of the neck? These are your fret markers for reference, you generally can’t see the actual frets.

5 Likes

Is your like me, the answer is “lose the belly” lolololol

6 Likes

Eat more food to grow your belly bigger, so the bass lays on it at an angle which helps you see the fretboard way easier! FYI beer helps too. :grimacing::flushed::man_shrugging::rofl:

5 Likes

A trick I used when I started playing guitar years ago, and then again when I moved to bass was to stand in front of a mirror. After awhile, your muscle memory will take over and you’ll no longer need the mirror…

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes

Just a little wisdom one Bass player told me once:
If you’re holding your bass like you’re holding a shotgun and you’re right about to aim at your target, you play it correct. :wink:

But NOT like this :joy::joy::joy:

Wish y’all the Bass :v::yum:

4 Likes

Maybe this helps?

Justin is playing a guitar, but that’s basically a shortscale bass with 6 strings that plays higher notes, right?

2 Likes

Just keep standing while playing. Eventually if your fingering technique is correct you won’t need to see the fretboard at all. You fingering will instinctively cover the pattern you’re playing. It takes a little time and some concentration but it helps in the long run.

When you’re playing a jam with others or in a band you’ll want to be looking at them or the crowd anyway not your fretboard so now is as good a time as any to get into that habit.

2 Likes

You all rock! Great tips! Thanks!

2 Likes