Standing vs sitting?

I feel like this is a dumb question but I didn’t see an answer in a forum search so here goes… I normally practice sitting down (for various reasons) but I plan to play with friends standing up. Am I sabotaging myself by not practicing standing up? Thanks

7 Likes

I don’t know about sabotaging yourself but I would be tempted to have a bit of a practice standing and playing as it is a slightly different experience IMO

6 Likes

It depends on how you strap up I guess. If you strap up like the bass geek riding up high on your chess then you’d probably have to strap when you sit to feel comfortable.

If you go the opposite route and like it slung really low it would not help practicing in a different position.

If you are somewhere in the middle and want the optimum position for practice while sitting or standing then this is what I learn from Billy Sheehan. I chose my strap height just above sitting, like an inch before it touches my leg while sitting. That would feel the same when I sit or stand while strapping.

You want to position your bass the same when practice and perform.

5 Likes

Do both.

7 Likes

I’m a bit biased because I NEVER play sitting down, practicing or playing. I set my strap to as long as I can get it so my bass is down around my waist (I’d hang it lower if my strap would allow it). Sitting is just impractical for me because of the way I play and the shape of my body.
More to the point, I think if you like to play sitting down and it’s comfortable for you, then do it at least part of the time. But I would definitely devote some practice time standing as well, just to condition your legs and back for when they are needed.
The problem I have with the sitting / standing routine is that you have to set your strap so short so as to allow yourself to switch from sitting to standing without altering the position of the bass (as in the Josh method). This is fine if you have the right length abdomen for it. Unfortunately, my abdomen is so short that in order for the bass to nestle atop my thighs (as I see people do), it’s practically hitting my chin and I have to raise my arms up so high, I feel like an accordion player.
Bottom line: Do both if you can, but DO spend some practice time standing.

7 Likes

I do both. For me when I’m taking the B2B lessons I’m sitting. It makes it easier for me to focus on the lessons. Plus when I do the lessons it’s usually 90+ minutes, so sitting makes it more comfortable.
However, whenever I am just playing I stand. Some days I don’t feel up for a lessons so I’ll just play some songs I’m working through and when I do this, I’ll stand so I can get use to playing while standing, dealing with the weight of the bass and all that.

5 Likes

I usually sit while recording.

3 Likes

Experiment for yourself to find out what works best for you!

But, yeah, try both if you can. I play exclusively sitting, and I have this nagging feeling it is going to bite me in the behind at some point :joy:

Here are two master playing together - one standing, one sitting :grin:

5 Likes

Here is a video about standing vs sitting.
Although it is about guitar, it translates pretty good to bass too:

After watching this video, I realized one of my main problems with sitting vs standing: That I tend to tilt my bass abit while sitting, so I can see the fretboard, which doesn’t really work when standing. So even if you have your bass strapped that way that you have it exactly in the same position when you are standing and when you are sitting, this is a thing that might throw you off.
I try to not tilt my bass so much now when sitting, because for me, that is the main difference when sitting vs standing (I tend to have my bass a bit lower when standing, because it feels more comfortable).

I just searched youtube if there is such a video specifically for bass, didn’t find one, but found something else. How to stand on a double bass:

9 Likes

If you have not played standing up yet, I would start practicing.
It takes a bit of getting used to, but not overwhelming.
I wouldn’t wait until your first meet up with others to give it a go.
It’s mostly ergonomics and visual differences that just take getting used to.

4 Likes

Is there anything better than a blue haired woman who can stand on a double bass while playing? I think not.

5 Likes

I always play standing up, I just feel more comfortable, it comes back to personal preference,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

HUGE ditto!

3 Likes

Both. I prefer sitting, because tapping my feet is easier that way. But I stand up every now and then when the sitting starts to become uncomfortable.

6 Likes

I do both. I tend more towards sitting when I’m learning something, and standing when I’m just playing along with a backing track for fun.

However, for sitting I use a stool with a height of about 28" which means that the bass is in about the same position either way, and would slide right off my leg if I didn’t use a strap.

Hard to imagine that back in the day I’d do four 45 minute sets a night, all standing. Of course, I was younger then - a lot younger. :smiley:

5 Likes

Funny, how different people have different perspective on playing. I like standing because it allows me to sway and move like I’m dancing to the rhythm, which I can’t do while sitting. When standing, I can really get into the groove. Sitting, I feel like it must be naptime LOL

7 Likes

I sit because as I’ve told @Lanny my eyesight has deteriorated so much in the last 2 years I simply can’t see the music on my iPad if I stand :joy:
I could get a stand and possibly should but I’ve not gotten around to it.
I’ve got to see an occupational optometrist very soon so hopefully things may improve and I’ll be able to have options

4 Likes

@Mac don’t delay. It can only get worse if you don’t deal with it. Just some motherly advice from Pam :heart_eyes_cat:

4 Likes

I will boss lady @PamPurrs

3 Likes

Thanks all for the responses! Very helpful.
My bass hangs at a different height and perspective when I stand vs. sit.
Thanks @Malyngo for the videos. Even though it was guitar it covered my questions.
Like a couple of you said, I also sit when I’m learning something so I can read the text and follow along. I will make sure to stand as part of every practice session.

2 Likes