Start over or just keep going after time off?

Hi All,
So I got up to Module 8 and lost my mojo…basically stopped the lessons for around 4 months. Did try to learn some baselines to find my fun again but then didn’t do anything on the bass for 3 months.
Question is do I start back at the start, maybe a couple of modules back or just plow on from where I got to?
Ready to get going again but any tips on keeping motivated while life is getting in the way would also be appreciated!
Appreciate all your views and advice!
Thanks

3 Likes

It’s more fun to just start over and refresh your memory. It would only take a fracture of time to do it. Assuming this is your first refresh. I usually do 3-5 refresh before I reach the last lesson.

3 Likes

Yes - I had begun B2B and then stopped for quite a long time cause of … life.

When I restarted I had a) more discipline and b) it did not feel “strange” to me to pickup a bass and do stuff with it.

It was actually great to restart!

4 Likes

Thanks @Al1885 and @chris_van_hoven I think starting over might be a good idea…it would be great to feel like I knew what I was doing (even if I don’t really!) on the early modules :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

You will find out that the 2nd time is magically much simpler!

3 Likes

You also get more out of it the second time. You’ll pick up more.

3 Likes

Going over lessons, exercises and songs is a great way to move forward and improve every aspect of your playing.

Keep in mind that nothing involving playing an instrument is “one and done.” Fundamentals are for everyone, regardless of playing level or prior experience. Learning to play is as crucial as learning to talk: they are each a form of communication, with others and with yourself.

Don’t worry about having to take a rest every now and then. You’ll start again from a better, stronger place every time you pick it up. Just keep at it. You got this.

4 Likes

So I stopped playing for around 6-8 months right after Billy Jean. The reason being is I’m so stubborn, I just had to get down Billy Jean, so thats all I worked on for like 6 weeks. I got it down, albeit still a bit sloppy at times and gave up. My daughters band started gigging a lot and my job started having long hours and I was drained mentally and physically on top of having the struggles of working on something more challenging.

I felt guilty the entire time I had put it down because I wanted to learn how to play (and still do). I picked it up again this past week and cruised through a ton of lessons and onto module 7 now.

I actually found it a lot easier to progress through Billy Jean and a few others, even though I had an extended period off. it was a good refresher in my opinion.

I’m actually enjoying it more now too, and thinking of purchasing a new bass, It will likely keep me going for awhile as it will be a new toy I just have to play with instead of the cheap yamaha I’ve been playing on. I’ve found with my daughter (and I think everyone is the same way), occasionally you have to splurge on something to keep your interest as strong as day one. You’ll want to use that shiny new toy or piece of equipment more and thus you’ll end up practicing more as a result. And practice is essential to anyone wanting to become a musician!

7 Likes

Thanks everyone for your advice and words of encouragement! A great community you have here. Puts most forums to shame!

1 Like

If I could chime in too…

I had a couple of breaks from the course, the first when I found one module particularly difficult - can’t remember which one now - and also around the slap module - that I ended up skipping and pretending wasn’t there.

In my case, I didn’t stop playing entirely, I just started learning songs, which kept me motivated. After each hiatus, I went back a bit, to move forward.

I have been considering going back to refresh the course at some point, although probably won’t go to module 1, lesson 1. I also really should have another tilt at the slap module!

4 Likes

Seriously, go back to the very start. The beginner lessons are so basic you can skip through most of it. I’d listen to what the lesson was and then go directly to the fast practice usually with no problem. If something stumped me then I drop down to medium or slow. I went from lesson 1 to 7 in a short period of time, then got a little more serious from lesson 8 on. Just finished the whole course and I will probably go from 8 to 16 again as that’s where it starts getting harder.

1 Like

Thanks @HIPCHIP thats exactly what I’m doing. Picking up some stuff I forgot too like fret hand positioning, so finding it really useful. :+1:

1 Like