Steve Harris Love Thread!

Buried in that article is something even more awesome - he owns a Fokker triplane.

1 Like

For you Steve Harris fans…

BTW, those videos aren’t as good as Josh’s in my opinion, but sometimes there are useful tidbits like this. I find this guy assumes you have quite a bit of knowledge already and explains stuff too fast sometimes.

2 Likes

I really like TalkingBass. Mark’s probably my second favorite online instructor after Josh. He actually does have basic lessons too.

2 Likes

Thank you, @JT . . . :slight_smile:

“The faster you play, the lighter you pick” . . . good tip for me

3 Likes

That is very cool! In Bruce’s book “What does this button do?” he talks about his flight training and how he almost became a permanent part of the Southern California desert scenery.

Great book if you are into reading autobiographies of rock musicians.

2 Likes

I started trying to find bass lessons by watching Mark, then Scott, and finally found Josh!

Mark is definitely for the more advanced bass player.

1 Like

Mark just did some more on Steve’s playing. Mostly in how to get that gallop …which was very useful to me. Plucking with a very light touch also applies when playing fast. I have now been able to hold a Steve Harris gallop for at least 5 seconds :slight_smile: Gonna take a LOT more practice and endurance to play a full song!

2 Likes

He does some more basic stuff, and perhaps the most basic is on his course. My shortlist was between him and Josh, and it came down to style/personality. Coincidentally, they both did a series of vids on their personal channel all about working as a musician on cruise ships.

3 Likes

just came back at home after my CrossFit training. we had Phantom Of The Opera in the playlist. conclusion : it’s pretty hard to headbang while doing back squats ! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :sweat_smile: :joy:

4 Likes

“hard”, but not “impossible” - looking forward to your next video :grin:

6 Likes

:rofl: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

LOL… I bet, especially with significant weight. You will pull more than a groin muscle!

1 Like

I’ve been planning this video for quite a while, and couldn’t wait to post it in this thread. Ta da!

13 Likes

excellent video as always ! so much unique things in Harris’s style !

3 Likes

Josh …You made my day oh wise Sensei! Im SOOOOO going to start practicing these tips (when not doing my daily lessons from you).

Someday soon I WILL be playing Harris tunes… it is my goal as much as it is my goal to also have my own unique style.

THANKS MAN!

3 Likes

Dat root-4th-5th. Classic.

2 Likes

Wow… my pinky is getting stronger with Josh’s use in his course…but trying to play those cords and barring the D-G string with the pinky is just PAINFUL…lol

2 Likes

One super helpful tidbit of information in there for me: I was trying to get a “good” sound for my bass, but it turned out very muddy in the context of the entire band; and so, after some discussions with the experts-in-residence here, I tweaked the sound to something I wouldn’t describe as “pleasing” for the bass alone (too “trebly” as you put it), but now it sits much, much better in the mix - so, I guess, unless you are playing by yourself, you need to adjust the sound of your bass to whatever else is going on at the same time!

Thanks!

7 Likes

@JoshFossgreen , it was quite good. I knew you were diverse, but I am now convinced you are indeed diverse - nothing you can’t play at least decently – if not excellently. That semi-vertical pluck for the clack is crazy!

2 Likes

Josh.
Kudos and high fives all around.

This video (much like the other videos you make) is so damn good.
The Harris Box is glorious.
The Maiden riff segues are wonderful.
The samples are killer, the explanations are ideal…
And, of course, the best part of the entire thing is your Steve Harris voice. Next video - only Steve Harris voice, please.

6 Likes