Straight Cable vs Right Angled Cable

Hi everyone. I’d like to know which type of cable I should get for bass.

3 Likes

What does the jack on your bass look like? On the side? Straight out of the front? Inset at an angle?

I prefer right angle cables, but they would not work as well for an Ibanez-style inset jack, for example.

7 Likes

I have an SX 8695CBU P Bass and it has its jack input on the front of the bass.

5 Likes

It’s mostly about personal preference. I would probably go for an angled cable. The less the jack sticks out, the less the chance to bump into something with it :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I’d go with a right angle on that one too, though either would work.

I’ve heard good things about the SX BTW, how do you like it? For the price they are supposed to be great :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s great. I’m honestly baffled as to how Fender gets away with selling their basses at ridiculous prices when you can just get a cheap copy that plays just as well.

3 Likes

Yeah, it would be great to be able to play without bumping into stuff :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve got both type cables. The straight one is for my Peavy Fury II because the jack is on the side of the body. The right angled cable works best with my Mexican Fender where the jack is on the front.

5 Likes

Thanks for the advice. And welcome to the community :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Buy both and see which you like better. It’s always good to have spare cables.

Personally, 2 of my basses have the jack on the side and I use a straight cable with those. The third had the jack on the front so it gets an angled cable.

Whatever type cable you use, always tuck the cable through the strap before plugging it into the bass. This way, you won’t step on the cable and unplug yourself. Or worse, damage the cable. Or worse yet, damage the jack on the bass.

3 Likes

My cables all have right angle on one end, and straight on the other. I never have an issue deciding which way to connect the bass to my amp.

4 Likes

I do the same

3 Likes

If your input jack is on the front of your bass, consider the angled cable. If that jack is on the edge (side), a straight cable will work. I use an angled GLS audio cable on all my bass guitars because two of them have front jacks. I don’t want to switch between cables. That is something to consider if you’re using multiple basses, especially for gigs. Good luck.

4 Likes

… unless it’s an Ibanez with its recessed jack, which requires a straight cable.

3 Likes

I strongly prefer angled cables on the side, too, they just work better.

4 Likes