Strap Height

This is going to sound really stupid, but I adjust my strap daily and cannot decide where I like it. I find if I wear the bass higher, I like the feel, but I can’t see as well. If I wear the bass lower, I can see it better and see what I’m fretting better, but it is not as comfortable. Sadly I find I’m more accurate in this position, but I don’t like it as much. This is only when standing, I have no issues when sitting (I also never readjust my strap to sit, so when I sit I’m essentially strapless). I’m guessing comfort should be first and figure how to get over the other hurdles from that position, just asking how do you choose your bass height and is comfort #1.

5 Likes

The more you play, the less you’ll need to see. So if you are saying you just play better because you see more, then that difference will fade with time. Basses are heavy instruments and comfort matters. Listen to your body.

6 Likes

@jazmo1999, there’s discussion about this in another thread on these Forums (“The PICK thread”), and elsewhere. :slight_smile:

The general rule for a starting point is to adjust your strap so that your bass is at the same height whether you are sitting or standing. This is what I have always done and is what works for me, but everyone is different.

I can understand your dilemma about comfort vs visual sight-lines, though; I personally would consider comfort to be more important, especially if you will be playing for extended periods. Also, the longer you play and practice, the less necessary it will be to see the fretboard.

HTH and cheers, Joe

5 Likes

This is a stupid sounding suggestion… but have you tried just bending your neck/head ever so slightly forward? Works for me on any bass, any strap height, any bass angle.

2 Likes

I’ve tried that but i get hunchbacked :smile: I’m actually trying to not look all the time as i assume that’s the goal, but i guess early on i should look and not worry about it. I worry too much about staring at the fretboard.

3 Likes

Play it at a height and position YOU are most comfortable learning with.

Yes, comfort is #1 for me, and since I always play all my bass’s standing up, they are all adjusted to pretty much the same height, which is lower than it would be if I were to sit.

Good Luck, and Keep on Thumpin’!

4 Likes

I know I’m being anal and just need to relax.

2 Likes

No, it’s a great question. You are curious and inquisitive and trying not to form any bad habits. That is good. Keep asking whatever you want. We’re all here to help and many have the same questions themselves.

5 Likes

Thanks JT, that is one of the things I love about this place is you never feel stupid asking a question. And BTW, I took the recommendation to try to match my sitting height, then worked on tilting the bass back toward me a little (I noticed that I thought it was flat, but I was actually tilting it forward a little, impairing my own sight line). Feeling good.

2 Likes

Sounds great. I have a bit of a belly and my bass is naturally tilted towards me due to that. Not saying everyone should gain weight though. :yum:

3 Likes

I hear you there…lol. I tend to wear my bass “On High” or my dad bod makes my bass look ridiculously tilted at tummy height…lol

3 Likes

I obsess about it too. You’re not alone.

2 Likes