Strap Locks

Well, I just about dropped the Squier this morning. I was in the process of hanging it around my head and the stap came loose at the body end – fortunately I caught the bass by the neck. I’m always real careful, but it just about got away form me.

Anyone using strap locks? What’s your experience? How was the installation?

5 Likes

:dizzy_face:

1 Like

I just use those rubber grommets/washers . . . :slight_smile:

They’re cheap, simple, and reliable!

Cheers, Joe

10 Likes

I use strap locks since … 10, 15 years, maybe more. I don’t mind much if my Fenders fall on the floor (which already happened more than one time) (it’s more a risk for the floor :joy: ) but when I was gigging I just wanted a reliable strap system.

I use the Shaller system which is perfect to me. I have this on all my “touring” instruments (= the ones that I can/could use on stage).

I even don’t understand why the big brands don’t use strap lock as a standard system.

If you don’t gig, @Jazzbass19 is totally right, that’s a pretty nice (and cheap) option. a no-brainer in fact.

7 Likes

I use these Dunlop Lok Strap plastic things: LOK STRAP STRAP RETAINER SYSTEM SET OF 3 - Dunlop

They were about a $1.50 each. Simple and effective and pretty essential on my heavy old Matsumoku bass.
I’ll probably use the rubber grommet type on my lighter bass if I ever remember to pick some up!

6 Likes

I use the Dunlop Dual Design Straplok system. Have them on all my basses and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m a very protective of my things (in the sense of keeping them in good condition) and with these I never even have to fathom ever dropping my bass.

5 Likes

yeah my brother used this at his skate-punk days :joy: I played with his guitars (including on stage) at this time and I can tell it works pretty well, yes.

3 Likes

@terb

I use the same (Schaller) strap locks. I wanted something secure, and that would also lock and unlock quick since I have one strap, but want to switch between 2 guitars using the same strap. Kind of pricey, but worth it even if you don’t own expensive instruments. (I have relatively cheap guitars, a Squire Jag SS and Gretsch Jr Jet SS, but don’t want either of those babies hitting the floor!)

SCHALLER

3 Likes

what I use is the older Schaller strap lock system, cheaper at the time. (about half the price)

2 Likes

I use Schaller S-Locks on my Yamaha and Warwick (Dunlop-style) strap locks on my Warwick. Both seem fine though the Schallers seem more substantial to me. I would never ever go without strap locks. Ever.

4 Likes

I’ve come to that line of thinking myself.

Thanks everybody. There were more options than I thought!

4 Likes

I use the washers from the Grolsch beer bottle tops

18 Likes

the punk way

7 Likes

The original strap lock.

5 Likes

DIY strap lock.

3 Likes

I love that several brands sell those at a premium, when it’s much better to just buy a couple Grolsch.

2 Likes

Four Pack of Strap Locks.
versus
Four Pack of Strap Locks!

6 Likes

Haha exactly!

1 Like

Wow! Fender is actually cheapest option - albeit without the bonus of beer. Still, they are only a couple of rubber washers.

My main problem isn’t the strap coming off, it’s hitting the headstock off the low hanging light fitting - or one of the many items strategically placed around my playing area.

Do you still have the rest of the Grolsch bottle stop hanging from your shoes? That was a ‘thing’, right?

2 Likes

i will go for the free beer

2 Likes