Straps

Closing Batking rant. I have tried straps and so far no go. Slide off my shoulder. Spoze the light weight contributes. What works, methinks, is to sit knees together. Rest this stick in yr crotch with butt end resting on inside top right leg. Neck feels pretty much as if it is hanging off a strap. Found some nylon wrapped strings with small string balls (on backorder) and Amazon is bringing me a wrench with silicon gripper for tuning. Vroom, vroom, vroom.

1 Like

Straps are one of those things that everyone has their own likes and dislikes for.
I personally use a Neotech 4.5" padded strap for my bass and it worked out just fine.

Here is a link to their website.

I think the main takeaway here is to get as wide a strap as possible and preferably padded. 2" straps do not cut it for me for a Bass. Yes wide straps are pricey but you need something to distribute that weight so that your playing performance is not affected. I uses a strap whether sitting or standing.

A lot of people on the forum swear by the Kliq air cell strap for their Bass.
Here is a link to their site:

These are just my opinions others may agree or disagree.
Hope this helps. :+1:

3 Likes

I use the Levy’s Right Height neoprene strap on both of my basses.

It is so easily adjustable, I am one of those players that like to have their bass a little lower when standing, so I can very easily lower the bass and then readjust when I sit down, so the strap will still be the right length so it doesn’t fall off the shoulder all the time.

Adjustable between from 43" to 57", you might want to check if that fits your bill, for me the shortest setting is just enough for my sitting down needs.

(Un)fortunatly it looses its neoprene smell pretty quick.

(Unfortunate for me, I like that neoprene smell, reminds me of my other hobbies kite surfing and wing surfing)

1 Like

That Neotech Mega strap is 4-inches-wide, according to site specs.

The only 4.5-inch-wide strap I’ve found is a Levy’s MSS2, and I’ve got one I really love. High-quality padded leather, no neoprene heat retention. Works great for me.

2 Likes

I put a 4.5" strap from Levy’s on my new Rascal. I find Levy’s straps comfortable though not flashy. Not adjustable once on the buttons

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UEZBRZI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Another option that is adjustable are the LM straps. Forum isn’t generating a picture for me today for some reason so here is one. This one is easily adjustable

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VK-4BK--lm-products-odin-viking-series-leather-strap-black

I second that straps are very subjective.

1 Like

I find the Levys strap super comfortable too. I’ve just ordered my second M4GF-BLK. The leather is nice and soft, padding is nice and the suede backing prevents any slipping.

2 Likes

This batstick is a challenge. I got a Levy. Had to extend it to 57, which was fine but…the padding sits cockeyed. Sweetwater dude of 20 years playing called me and said they didn’t have anything. I love this Levi. I’m going to wrassle with this through some lessons. I need to make sure, but I am tempted to move the…uh…thingy the strap hooks onto. I think I need it closer to the body. 57” out to the nut is a long way out and a lot can go wrong. The Levy won’t stay on. Be glad to report when I figure this out.

1 Like

Okay, got it. Charles Berth…(so) made a vid playing the long standing traveler bass I couldn’t afford. His strap is securely attached to the body, both ends. Bet Batking knew players would have to move it so they put it some place useless so it can be put to suit. I got the Levy MRHSS strap. I am not a big person. I will have to shorten the adjustable side of the strap, but I have a sewing machine. Just trying holding that way is totally seductive.
Thanks again. jazz24.org

That sounds glorious! I need to get out of this “strap is strap” mentality… I’ve just been buying the cheap Fender / Ernie Ball ones off Amazon!

2 Likes

Cool. They’re not cheap, but you get what you pay for, and more, in my opinion.

They regularly sell for $75 USD, but here is a link where you can save almost $10 on that price, at least in the US.

3 Likes

I have a padded Neotech strap as well, at its widest point on the shoulder it’s 10cm across. The padding is pretty good. The only downside is that I bought it in the long (maybe extra long) length, as it was the only one left, but it’s too long for 5’4" me. I haven’t been able to find a shorter length in local stores.

1 Like

As FYI:

We’ve usually got topics already going for most broad bass subjects, but Discus sometimes makes them hard to find.

1 Like

I was able to buy the regular size from from Amazon. I wanted to try since they were manufacturing for Sadowsky. If it is good enough for Roger…

Ended up being a great comfort strap and is easy to adjust, highly recommend if you are looking for neoprene.

2 Likes

thanks @AnotherJosh , I’ll be checking that out!

1 Like