String changing

Yeah I reckon it’s oxidisation AKA rust given you also mention a lot of humidity where you are

5 Likes

Certainly looks like it :+1:

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @PappaJ!

4 Likes

Thanks @JerryP

1 Like

Thanks @TNKA36,

no rust on the fingers. The tone, this might sound bad, but I’m not sure. The E string tone doesn’t seem to hold very well, it doesn’t sustain a constant pitch.

Anywho, thanks for all the advice and I’ll have at look at the corrosion resistant tape wounds.

Cheers

4 Likes

Although I have yet to experience this on any of my bass’s, I have however experienced this many times on my Acoustic guitars - especially when strung with bronze wound strings. It’s a sure sign that you need to replace the strings.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

I recently bought a Fender Jazz off my friend and I am going to get it setup by a tech. I am wondering if I should also switched out the strings. Visually it doesn’t look like there is any discoloration but my friend bought it used more than 10 years ago and I am sure it hasn’t been changed in the last 6-7 years.

5 Likes

I would definitely get new strings, but would choose my own strings for the tech to put on it.

6 Likes

I agree with Pam , @PamPurrs @
@cchen1227
I would pick my own strings as well.
It will be what type of sound and feel your after, I’m sure the tech can advise, but I would make a choice after that discussion.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome @cchen1227
Another vote for a string change here. Most of the luthiers here in Oz that I’ve seen advertised offer new strings as part of the set up as standard.

2 Likes

+1 to what was said already! Depending on how much you want done, the luthier might need to take off the strings anyway; at which point, I would always ask for new strings, but especially considering that they are at least 6 years old. I guess, with strings it is not alone how they look, but they probably also have “changed” due to being under tension for that long time.

As the others have said, talk to the luthier about what style you play and what kind of music you mainly want to play and I am sure (s)he can recommend strings for you.

4 Likes

Thanks everybody. I did purchase a set of DR Hi-Beam 40-100 anticipating this before I got the bass so I will put those on while getting the setup done.

6 Likes