String compatibility with different bridges

This may sound odd (I’m a noob, give me a break) but I have just been thwarted in changing the strings on my Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV because the small ring/nut that the string is looped around at the bridge end doesn’t fit through the bridge (sorry, I tried to find the proper names for the parts but couldn’t get the answer) . Did I miss something when researching strings and set-up? I don’t recall anything mentioned about this, and I don’t see anything on this packet or any others that hints at this being a thing. I’m stunned because it never occurred to me that this part wouldn’t be a standard size. The strings I bought are Adagio Pro Series flat wound 45 gauge regular tension (apparently).

The pics are of the two different E strings: red trim is the new flat wound.

It’s not a disaster as I was going to take the old strings off the Epi and put them on my Peavey, so instead I’ve put the new ones on the Peavey and it sounds much better than the old round wound strings - and I’m finding it easier to play. Oddly there seems to be more finger sliding noise coming through than with the rounds.

2 Likes

AFAIK, the little rings at the ends should all be a standard size . . . any chance that it just needs to be turned 90 degrees so it fits through the slot? Or maybe it just doesn’t matter. Hard to tell by the pic.

What size are the rings on the other strings?

All best, Joe

2 Likes

@Jazzbass19, I tried rotating them 90 degrees but the slot is even narrower so it made no difference.

My local friendly music shop has said it’s not uncommon, and I could still string it with the end sitting a bit proud, but from my little materials & engineering science knowledge I wouldn’t feel comfortable with that knowing that there is a weakness that could affect it without notice.

I can’t see why there should be a difference to begin with because it limits the string manufacturers potential market. It also limits the guitar maker’s choice of strings, although I doubt they’re too worried about it. Hey ho! I just wondered if I’d missed something everybody else knew to check for but it looks like you just have to know the different brands.

2 Likes

OK, so it just doesn’t matter then . . . :slight_smile:

All the rings on my bass strings show at the bottom of my bridge, but it is open. Your bridge has a smoother “finished” look, so I could see why that might bother you a bit.

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Us beginners fixate on any little thing because we don’t necessarily know what matters and what doesn’t. All part of the learning process: I mean; at this stage I’d probably think it was normal to help the other musicians get their gear in and out of a venue. :innocent:

2 Likes

It’s not something everyone else knows - and depending on your bass and string choices, some things work, some don’t.
I have a Modulus Quantum Sweet Spot 5 String (fancy name, eh?) - and it’s an extra long scale.
I bought some strings that started to taper toward the tuning peg before they got to the nut - it didn’t work. I had to stop buying that brand.

I couldn’t find a spec on a string manufacturer website about the diameter of the ball end anchor itself - maybe some of our engineering DIY buddies out there can bust out their micrometers and get us a measurement?

It should be standard, and it’s lame that you got a bum deal. I would not want to play with a ball end that didn’t seat itself snug in the bridge, personally, and I’d look for an E string single from a different brand in a similar gauge that would (hopefully) fit!

Having said that, you’re not doing any damage or running any risks by playing it as is.

2 Likes