String differences

Lol, you must be related to ABBA’s bassist.

3 Likes

“Full nickel” strings might be the way to go for you. They are nickel wound, but with a nickel core as well. They are supposed to sound less bright and “warmer” than steel core roundwounds.

5 Likes

One thing you could do is roll the tone off a little, or EQ the treble down a bit. Lots of tools for getting the sound you want.

3 Likes

Closest and best alternative I’ve found for this type of sound is Labella RX nickel. To me they are the non-bright rounds. I thought I loved them but over time moved to GHS Boomers. If you are in the US and send me your address I’ll send you a set.

2 Likes

Which bass boomers do you use? I’m curious what moved you to them.

2 Likes

The standard M3045s.
I cannot remember what motivated me to try them, other than I was not liking the LaBella RX’s as much as I thought, and NYXLs were mainly too bright for me (although they sit on my Marcus Miller Jazz, the only non Boomer rounds on a bass I have), but when I tried them I felt they had GREAT low end, and enough high end but not too bright for my ear. Loads of tone and feel great under my hands. And they are not super expensive either.

3 Likes

This has helped some. And i quarter-turned the practice amplifiers. They were directly facing my playing position. While i have them on pads so they don’t directly contact the concrete floor, They still reflect some-and that definitely adds to the issue.
(There is currently a fabrication project to get them on raised wheeled stands with a 15° back tilt)
But you are right, letting the amplifier eq stay flat on the treble side and adjusting with the preamp helps.

2 Likes

If you build a riser you may not want or need the tilt.

Here’s what I made for mine. Easy, doubles as a carry-all for stuff and cables (if I ever go anywhere) with power on the back.

What flatwounds have you tried? What do you not like about them? I get what you’re saying about traditional flats like LaBellas and Fenders, but modern flats like Rotosound 77, Tomastik-Infeld Jazz, or to a lesser extent D’Addario Chrome flats all have a more balanced sound and brightness.

For a warmer tone in a round try DR Pure Blues

2 Likes

Wooten sure gets brightness out of his Pure Blues, though. But, then again, he can apparently do anything he wants with his Fodera. :grinning:

1 Like

He’s a Wizard. But you can handle brightness with an EQ, hard to add in warmth that’s not there to start. My 2 bits

2 Likes

I’ve not tried those. I had a set of labella flats. I didn’t like the feel of them.

1 Like

LaBellla Deep Talking Flats have a hex core, and are very stiff, and high tension. Roto, TI, D’Addario, and even LaBella Lower Tension flats all have round cores, and are all flexible, they don’t feel like cables. TIs are one of the best strings, are super flexible, and cost a bundle. Many people balk at the cost (but you don’t change flats often).

I also really like the Rotosound 77. And the DR Pure Blues rounds. I too like warmer tones.

2 Likes

TI flats are in a class all their own. The TI Jazz Rounds are awesome as well. They are super pliant and will generally need a good set-up. But they sound full and warm and are so easy on the fingers.

2 Likes

TIs are great strings, I put them on my new 54 bass.

2 Likes

100%. I can make rounds sound like flats but the reverse is much more difficult.

1 Like

Do they even have their own brand of strings?
The Ibanez basses I looked at either came with Elixir strings or D’Addario strings.

DR Pure Blues are rounds. You might like them a lot. And they’re not expensive.

2 Likes

I actually have some in my cart :yum:

2 Likes

Yep, no Idea why their basses/guitars come with better strings already on, but they have quite a few…

https://www.ibanez.com/na/products/model/strings/

1 Like